Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Approaching prospective placements? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If I am looking for a placement year/year in industry, say not at a major company that is known for doing placements nor one with a set system for placement applications. How should I approach this employer?

I have a CV sorted but I don't even know if they're hiring, if I send out an email asking if they do placements should I put my CV in the email or should I just ask first and then if they say they would, then I send a CV?

ReputationRep:
    Ask them, because most likely they wont reply if you just drop them a cv (I think). Hope you find a good placement.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    If I am looking for a placement year/year in industry, say not at a major company that is known for doing placements nor one with a set system for placement applications. How should I approach this employer?

I have a CV sorted but I don't even know if they're hiring, if I send out an email asking if they do placements should I put my CV in the email or should I just ask first and then if they say they would, then I send a CV?
    Make a normal application as if there was a 'scheme', with a fully tailored CV, but begin your covering letter with the sentence This is a speculative application for a placement as a [sensible job title]. Say the same in the covering email.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)

Saying from personal and professional experience, I'd say make a Speculative Application.
    This is when you're not sure a potential employer is actually hiring.
    Another advice is to tailor your CV and write down the specific potential employer in your cover letter for example, 'I am enquiring whether an opportunity might exist to work at [Insert Company Name] as a(n) [Insert Job Title].'

I have made Speculative Applications in the past and it has worked 90% of the time. :yes:

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.