Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Going by full name? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here with a middle name(s) do you write your name on documents like a CV as your name + surname or name + middle name + surname?

I have 2 middle names and I am not sure if it would look pretentious or bad if I put my middle names like on my cv or just my name and surname?

I was thinking as I have a multi-ethnic name (???) if that makes sense, it might be more memorable with all my names.

But yeah, people with middle names, do you go by your full name?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Anyone here with a middle name(s) do you write your name on documents like a CV as your name + surname or name + middle name + surname?

I have 2 middle names and I am not sure if it would look pretentious or bad if I put my middle names like on my cv or just my name and surname?

I was thinking as I have a multi-ethnic name (???) if that makes sense, it might be more memorable with all my names.

Yeah, i do,mkre because it says 'full name'
    And mime aren't really middle names, they are my first names

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittenMediaya)
    Yeah, i do,mkre because it says 'full name'
    And mime aren't really middle names, they are my first names

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You have multiple first names?

ReputationRep:
    You have multiple first names?
    Yeah i have

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No. I would indeed feel pretentious. Besides, ain't nobody got time for that.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have a middle name but it's only on my passport and driving licence, I never put it on a CV.

ReputationRep:
    I've never made a CV tho, so idk whether it's compulsory to put your FULL name.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On my CV I don't have my middle name.

I also dont use my full first name, i abbreviate it as thats my preferred name. Never had an issue doing this.

ReputationRep:

I only use my middle name when applying for official documents passport, voter card, driving licence. Other then that just first and surname

ReputationRep:
    Erm I have two middles names so I tend to just write my First and last name. It's easier for me and it's easier for an employer too I guess 😊

ReputationRep:
    I do since my family call me by my middle name even though I don't use it professionally - so yeah it's a big part of my identity. Also, there's nothing pretentious about it - it's your name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stoptherot)
    I only use my middle name when applying for official documents passport, voter card, driving licence. Other then that just first and surname
    Yeah, same for important documents I tend to write my full name 😆

ReputationRep:
    I do. I like my middle name
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Don't really like using my middle name as not only it looks kinda pretentious but the name is pretty pretentious on its own

Spoiler:
    Show

Albert. Fml
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I have two middle names but I just checked my CV and I've only put my first name and last name on it. Generally speaking if a form says "full name" then I write my first name and two middle names, but that's the only time I put my middle names on a form :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I have a middle name but it's only on my passport and driving licence, I never put it on a CV.

but Gordon is a lovely name :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Don't really like using my middle name as not only it looks kinda pretentious but the name is pretty pretentious on its own

Spoiler:
    Show

Albert. Fml

Yeah it might look pretentious but I thought it'd counteract my foreign first name and bring it to a neutral pretentious level, or maybe having a multi ethnic name with old middle names might make it even more pretentious?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    You just put the name you use day to day on the top of a CV. So if you are Joanna Louise Smith and always call yourself Jo Smith, then you put Jo Smith at the top of the CV.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it might look pretentious but I thought it'd counteract my foreign first name and bring it to a neutral pretentious level, or maybe having a multi ethnic name with old middle names might make it even more pretentious?
    I think it does. It's the same for me, Andreas Albert....quite pretentious tbh

ReputationRep:
    Only with bills and official papers. Like most other posters, I find that it does feel a bit pretentious.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.