Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    have A*A*B in economics, history and maths in my A-Levels. Wanted to know if it would be very unlikely for me to get an offer. I would likely apply for education (A*AA) or HSPS (A*AA)?

ReputationRep:
    Am not sure, but I think they are very specific about their grades so am not sure if you would get an offer if you didn't meet the exact requirement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6764)
    have A*A*B in economics, history and maths in my A-Levels. Wanted to know if it would be very unlikely for me to get an offer. I would likely apply for education (A*AA) or HSPS (A*AA)?
    Are you post-A-level applicant?
    Unfortunately unless you have extenuating circumstances to explain B in maths, it's quite difficult to expect they'll give you an offer. Having 2 A*, instead of minimum requirement of 1A*, won't compensate for B. Many candidates apply with/have a prediction of grades that exceed minimum requirements, and they only interview candidates who are on course of achieving at least minimum requirement or post-qualification candidates who have already achieved it, so your situation isn't very competitive I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Are you post-A-level applicant?
    Unfortunately unless you have extenuating circumstances to explain B in maths, it's quite difficult to expect they'll give you an offer. Having 2 A*, instead of minimum requirement of 1A*, won't compensate for B. Many candidates apply with/have a prediction of grades that exceed minimum requirements, and they only interview candidates who are on course of achieving at least minimum requirement or post-qualification candidates who have already achieved it, so your situation isn't very competitive I'm afraid.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am. I retook two maths modules this summer so hoping my B goes to an A. If not I have a place at another university so will probably take that instead. I was hoping that education isn't one of the most competitive subjects that my A*'s in humanities would outweigh the maths. Also have an A at AS and 10A* at GCSE but not sure if that is very important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6764)
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am. I retook two maths modules this summer so hoping my B goes to an A. If not I have a place at another university so will probably take that instead. I was hoping that education isn't one of the most competitive subjects that my A*'s in humanities would outweigh the maths. Also have an A at AS and 10A* at GCSE but not sure if that is very important.
    Most recent exam result is the most important. And downward trajectory is not regarded as positive sign, so I'm afraid better result in the past won't help, either.

Even for 'less competitive' courses, standard of applicants are quite high, they don't need to accept candidates who couldn't achieve their minimum requirements.
    According to the latest statistics, success rate of candidates for humanities courses with A*A*B is only 0.5%. (Table 3.1) And I suspect who were admitted with a B had extenuating circumstances.
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....2016_cycle.pdf

If you have an offer from other university, I'd recommend you take it. If the re-taken modules improve the grade, you can take a gap year and re-apply next year by all means, but achieving minimum requirement is not a guarantee for successful application. (Success rate of A*AA applicants is only 10.9% - above statistics)
    And they look at all aspects of application, not just grades, and they usually expect higher standard from a gap year applicant because you've had one extra year to prepare.

Whether you take the risk or not, choice is yours.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.