Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I don't know what to do with my life Watch

Hi, thank you for taking the time to read this, I badly need some advice or someone who'd knock sense in me! Please be patient with how long this is as I need you to know the full details.

I am 22 with a full time job (underpaid, really). I'm stressed out about my work as the environment is toxic there, I am not enjoying what I do so I'm planning on resigning. It's hard for me to look for another job as I got my bachelor's degree in another country. So basically I don't qualify much here. I have saved just GBP4000 which is not enough, I know. My plans? Take the CFA (finance qualification) exam this December which I have booked already, then take accounting qualifications afterwards (AAT or ACCA). I'm not sure if my savings will get me through this!

OR

I'll continue working, save up to 10,000 and get married. My boyfriend is in US Navy and that's our money target before getting married. Of courseI want to be with him, but I can't really stand my work place Like really, I just want to get out of there!

I don't know what to do, really, I'm going insane. I don't even have enough money What should I do? I don't want to whine to my boyfriend about getting married and being together, because he got a point, we need money. I just really don't know what to do.

Please help me, I've got no friends here to talk about things like this. Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid my knowledge about the exams you're planning on taking is pretty limited so I can't really advise on that, but I can understand where you're coming from with your work environment. It is possible for you to get a good, well-paid job without having to use your qualification, it all really comes down to your skill set and interview technique. If you're willing to start in maybe a lower down position and work your way up over time, it is possible for you to get a good salary and save upfor your target amount.

As for the money side of things, if you can, make small adjustments to your lifestyle. Buy cheaper brand food, for example, or limit the amount of money you spend on things like clothes. If you can't stand your work environment, it's only going to damage your mental health staying there, and then you won't be doing your job to the best you can. You're still young, there are plenty of things you can try without needing to resort to extremes. My advise is stay where you are for now but look for another job, write out the pros and cons of taking these exams to get it clear in your head, and express your concerns to your boyfriend. It's not whining, it's communication and he'll be able to help with the emotional side of things

Best of luck OP

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.