Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I keep thinking of a zoology degree (in year 12 now) would be sooo suitable for me since I adore animals and the outdoors, currently doing A-level bio - but without this sounding shallow, what are some jobs/careers that come to mind after a zoology degree with a good pay? As much as I love the sound of the degree, I really want it to be worthwhile at the end of it and, hopefully, get a decent paid job. Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Clearist)
    I keep thinking of a zoology degree (in year 12 now) would be sooo suitable for me since I adore animals and the outdoors, currently doing A-level bio - but without this sounding shallow, what are some jobs/careers that come to mind after a zoology degree with a good pay? As much as I love the sound of the degree, I really want it to be worthwhile at the end of it and, hopefully, get a decent paid job. Thanks
    Depends what you mean by decent pay. I think its the wrong degree if you wish to do something zoology related.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...degree/zoology

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to sound negative but I did 1.5 years of a Zoology degree at the university of Manchester and although I absolutely love animals and learning all about them and got 2 As in biology and chemistry a levels the modules I did were pointless and I had no clue how I would incorporate the knowledge I was learning into a job. I thought never mind I'll do my industrial placement in 3rd year and will learn more practical things but at my interview I was told that you basically can't get anywhere in zoology (especially working in a zoo or abroad) without a PhD! Long story short I took a years interruption and am going back to finish my 2nd year so I get a diploma so the 1.5 years wasn't a waste and changing course and unis to do veterinary nursing as that is a degree that sends you straight into a job and the stuff you learn is practical and you know how it will come in useful. I think it comes to a point in university life for all degrees not just zoology that actually this degree needs to mean something and get you into a job or it's worthless really. I just knew that I didn't want to go into a generic graduate job like so many people with biology, language, English, politics etc degrees do...I'm not trying to put you off Zoology but it just didn't work for me which is disappointing as I still read up on things I see in the news and find it all so interesting but maybe it should be more of a hobby for me...

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.