Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I take History at A-Level if i haven't done it at GCSE Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I took Geography at GCSE and for me it was easy but not interesting. I'm thinking of taking History at A-Level and for a while I was stoked about taking it. That was until I though to myself 'wait, I hate politics'. I know politics is gonna be in History so I just need some input on the question above thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oneiropólos)
    Hi, I took Geography at GCSE and for me it was easy but not interesting. I'm thinking of taking History at A-Level and for a while I was stoked about taking it. That was until I though to myself 'wait, I hate politics'. I know politics is gonna be in History so I just need some input on the question above thanks
    Hello firstly I feel like History at GCSE was far too basic compared to a level so it only really helps you a tiny bit if at all.

"Politics" is very vague if yo could tell me what topics they teach at your school then I could further help . Politics will probably only be like 0-20% of the course. Could you also tell me what part of poliics hate?

ReputationRep:
    Your school most likely wouldn't allow you to take it for A level if u needed to do a GCSE in it. Therefore it will be fine to take. I heard that it's nothing like GCSE anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Hello firstly I feel like History at GCSE was far too basic compared to a level so it only really helps you a tiny bit if at all.

"Politics" is very vague if yo could tell me what topics they teach at your school then I could further help . Politics will probably only be like 0-20% of the course. Could you also tell me what part of poliics hate?
    Since I never took History which is why I'm so vague I'm just going with learning politics as what I hate. I enjoy the interesting parts like the Great War, ancient Egypt and WW2

ReputationRep:
    Since I never took History which is why I'm so vague I'm just going with learning politics as what I hate. I enjoy the interesting parts like the Great War, ancient Egypt and WW2
    Eh to be fair politics is only a very little bit.

I study Modern american History (1917-94) the politics in it is just knowing system of government, how the president changed and how attitudes to the presideny changed (more hidtory than pol imo), knowing what Conservatism and Liberalism is, federal policies

I am doing Tudors next year and i feel like the politics is so different and less relevant.

Remember in History we dont do political science but we do political history.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I didn't do history GCSE but am currently doing it at a-level. would definitely recommend you take it, it is my most favourite subject and not doing it at GCSE shouldnt be problem at all!

ReputationRep:
    since you've studied geography you can study history at a level as the basic skills are transferable

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.