Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm looking to interail Europe next year some time by myself.
    I just wanted a bit of advice from people that have already been.
    Is it easy to meet people in hostels you're staying in? How easy is it to 'wing' which places you're going and where you're going to stay?
    And what time of year is best to go.
    Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harvib)
    Hey,
    Is it easy to meet people in hostels you're staying in? How easy is it to 'wing' which places you're going and where you're going to stay?
    I went interrailing in the end of may and early june of this year, so not exactly peak tourist season and our hostel dorms where half empty, but we still met lots of great people in hostels. So that shouldn't be an issue. As far as hostels go I'd highly recommend Wombat hostels which are in a lot of popular interrail destinations and hans brincker if you're planning on going to amsterdam

As for winging it we planned out our destinations beforehand and booked hostels, however you can go get pretty much anywhere with little planning using your pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harvib)
    Hey,
    I went interrailing Dec 2015-Jan 2016. I think there was some kind of student/young person's discount at the time. It was the interrail pass whereby you travelled on 10 days within 1 month. Therefore I used this to plan which cities I wanted to go to (and how many trips it would take). In the end, I think I had 1 travel day spare, so one day I just decided to travel from Vienna to Budapest and back in the same day. This type of pass is pretty flexible and it gives you freedom to stay in one place for any amount of time (as long as you use all your travel days in one month).

I decided not to wing stuff cos it was two of us going, so I booked hostels and airbnbs in advance. But I'm sure you could wing hostels if it's just you, but idk if it's worth the risk of finding out everyone that's within your budget is full up. Most hostels have dorms of 3-10 people so can be really sociable. I didn't see many people travelling by themselves, most people are in groups. I definitely recommend the chain Meininger hostels (in loads of European cities), they're affordable and pretty sociable.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.