Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Recently we've been having to set up applications for uni, and I'm completely lost on what course to take. I've fallen in love with a journalism course and what I will study and what it can lead to, however, I have been told an English language one would be more beneficial. Although learning the entire subject: as I am now for a level, which drew me more to the journalism one, this one could give me a higher percentage chance of getting a job in the future, So what do I chose, a degree in Journalism or English Language? Help!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chelsea A)
    Recently we've been having to set up applications for uni, and I'm completely lost on what course to take. I've fallen in love with a journalism course and what I will study and what it can lead to, however, I have been told an English language one would be more beneficial. Although learning the entire subject: as I am now for a level, which drew me more to the journalism one, this one could give me a higher percentage chance of getting a job in the future, So what do I chose, a degree in Journalism or English Language? Help!
    If you want to be a journalist then an accredited journalism degree will train you up and give you opportunities to develop your portfolio. An English language degree will help you develop some of the skills needed but won't include training on the specifics and you'll be developing your portfolio in your free time.

Most of the journalists that studied English at university did so at Oxbridge and got their first jobs using their contacts from their university. Those contracts aren't likely to exist outside of Oxbridge (unless you're extremely lucky) - the industry has changed significantly in the last decade.

Personally I would recommend an accredited journalism degree. But alongside that you will need to get as much work experience as possible and ideally cultivate a strong social media presence in order to get ahead of the competition.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.