Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Been called up for jury duty, something i'd be quite interested in doing, however it's three days after I move for uni and on the same day as my courses start date.

I don't want to miss the first week of university but at the same time I don't want a £1000 fine. What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samrichardsonn)
    Been called up for jury duty, something i'd be quite interested in doing, however it's three days after I move for uni and on the same day as my courses start date.

I don't want to miss the first week of university but at the same time I don't want a £1000 fine. What can I do?
    Not much tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Not much tbh.
    Absolute pain in the arse
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Absolute pain in the arse
    Can you not postpone jury duty using University at the reason? I know when researching it earlier in the year I could postpone it once but then be required to do it the 2nd time. Since I have the fun of likely being called for jury duty while at university in another country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinfarts)
    Can you not postpone jury duty using University at the reason? I know when researching it earlier in the year I could postpone it once but then be required to do it the 2nd time. Since I have the fun of likely being called for jury duty while at university in another country
    The only time you can use university as an excuse to avoid jury service is when you have an exam on the day(s) of service; at least that is how it works in the UK I believe.

ReputationRep:

Thinking about just patching it. Can't prove I received the letter

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about just patching it. Can't prove I received the letter
    Aye, one of my friends opened a letter and it was for jury service, thing is that it was for like 2 months previous and nothing ever happened to her.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I mean if you are looking for some interesting responses, this thread gave me quite a laugh.https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...d.php?t=970482
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I mean if you are looking for some interesting responses, this thread gave me quite a laugh.https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...d.php?t=970482
    That give me some giggles

'Alternatively, you could shoot yourself in the face. That would get you out of it' has to be my favourite.

ReputationRep:
    You can postpone jury duty for the first time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    You can postpone jury duty for the first time
    Got a letter the other day saying I didn't need to go and that the original letter was down to an admin error. happy days

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.