Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I be in love with someone I'm not physically attracted to? Watch

Hi there,

There's a girl at work who I'm in love with, or I think I'm in love with. At the very least, I really, really, really like her.

People around us can tell we can connect, and a friend who I work with was discussing it with a friend outside of work (behind my back). The reason I know this was because the friend came up to me and said 'how's [name], and when are you going to ask her out?'.

She's beautiful. She's lovely. Fantastic personality, we get on so well, I think about her constantly...however I feel like I'm not going physically attracted to her (wouldn't be surprised if she thinks the same of me).

Does that matter? Am I really in love?

Personality has always been more important to me, and is the thing I often pick up on first, and then think about attraction later.

It's driving me nuts...thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    If you get on so well but there's no attraction, then why can't you just be really close friends? If something else happens let it be a natural progression, if not then you still have an awesome friendship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She's beautiful. She's lovely. Fantastic personality, we get on so well, I think about her constantly...
    I'd say that's enough to give it a whirl and see what happens

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call it love just yet. If there's no physical attraction then surely you like her on a friend basis. Regardless ask her out, give it a chance (?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Give it a chance, attraction can easily develop after getting to know someone. It's not so simple that if a guy or girl doesn't find you attractive, they always won't. That's the great thing and why people say personality is so important because it really does improve your attraction to someone, even if they didn't find you initially attractive before talking to you.

(Original post by Wanderlust96)
    If you get on so well but there's no attraction, then why can't you just be really close friends? If something else happens let it be a natural progression, if not then you still have an awesome friendship.
    Thanks.

1) I wouldn't want to lead her on
    2) I'm not sure how'd that work at all. Friends at work, yes, close? No.
    3) I have several close friends already, it's another vacancy I need filling

(Original post by A321)
    I wouldn't call it love just yet. If there's no physical attraction then surely you like her on a friend basis. Regardless ask her out, give it a chance (?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I think I've gone from a place from feeling 0 attraction, to thinking she's incredibly cute and I like looking her (in a non creepy way- she's got a lovely smile).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.