Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have confirmed my UEA offer and will be studying there starting from September. I have visited their website and saw that my accommodation place is guaranteed for the 1st year, but not in the 2nd and 3rd year. I found this quite worrying, as I am from Hong Kong, not familiar with the UK environment, finding an apartment myself in UK in the 2nd year of living seems so challenging. What are the chances that I can get an accommodation place in year 2 and 3? Or what will students normally do in the 2nd and 3rd year? Do they rent houses with friends normally?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by HhKwOk04)
    I have confirmed my UEA offer and will be studying there starting from September. I have visited their website and saw that my accommodation place is guaranteed for the 1st year, but not in the 2nd and 3rd year. I found this quite worrying, as I am from Hong Kong, not familiar with the UK environment, finding an apartment myself in UK in the 2nd year of living seems so challenging. What are the chances that I can get an accommodation place in year 2 and 3? Or what will students normally do in the 2nd and 3rd year? Do they rent houses with friends normally?
    I wouldnt worry its the same in all unis.
    Normally you make friends and then find somewhere private to rent. There is always a wide selection of house shares and private halls to apply for. It wont be a problem and youd probably prefer to get a house with your new friends.

Normally you can apply for Uni owned accommodation in later years, but you just dont have a guarantee you will be awarded it as priority is for year 1.

Its nothing to worry about and you will realise that once youve started, got used to university and made friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I wouldnt worry its the same in all unis.
    Normally you make friends and then find somewhere private to rent. There is always a wide selection of house shares and private halls to apply for. It wont be a problem and youd probably prefer to get a house with your new friends.

Normally you can apply for Uni owned accommodation in later years, but you just dont have a guarantee you will be awarded it as priority is for year 1.

Its nothing to worry about and you will realise that once youve started, got used to university and made friends.
    Icic, thanks for your information. Is private housing rent usually more expensive than accommodation the other way round?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HhKwOk04)
    Icic, thanks for your information. Is private housing rent usually more expensive than accommodation the other way round?
    I went to UEA a few years ago and whilst I can't comment on the situation now, my rent in halls in first year was almost the same as my private rent in 2nd and 3rd year. Most students will want to move out of halls and into a houseshare in second year onwards but there should be some places in halls for returners. If you don't get a place in halls UEA have a househunting portal with property listings which is a good place to start.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.