Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Sixth form social/fundraising ideas Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just become Deputy Head Girl at my school and the heads and deputies are in charge of fundraising for the prom and for yearbooks etc. We're trying to come up with ways to raise money - this has traditionally been done through sixth form parties and tuck shops, but it is increasingly hard to get social clubs to take us, and we have been told we are not allowed to sell to lower school (plus there is a coffee bar in the common room so little point in selling stuff there).One of the ideas we have come up with is an 100 club (i.e a private lottery) to be drawn regularly or a regular raffle for things like £15 mac vouchers/Nando's vouchers etc. Which of these is a better idea or even better do you have any other ideas to raise money? What social events/fundraisers do they have at your sixth form? Thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilbircham)
    I've just become Deputy Head Girl at my school and the heads and deputies are in charge of fundraising for the prom and for yearbooks etc. We're trying to come up with ways to raise money - this has traditionally been done through sixth form parties and tuck shops, but it is increasingly hard to get social clubs to take us, and we have been told we are not allowed to sell to lower school (plus there is a coffee bar in the common room so little point in selling stuff there).One of the ideas we have come up with is an 100 club (i.e a private lottery) to be drawn regularly or a regular raffle for things like £15 mac vouchers/Nando's vouchers etc. Which of these is a better idea or even better do you have any other ideas to raise money? What social events/fundraisers do they have at your sixth form? Thanks!
    Hi, there. I have moved this to "Advice on everyday issues" as this is where it belongs. In terms of fundraising, there are various ways to raise money such as getting the local community to sponsor you guys to do a 10k run or something like that, baking cakes etc. there are so many options out there. Hope this helps. ^CoffeeAndPolitics

ReputationRep:
    Walk to ...... (London, Newcastle, Melbourne etc).

Work out how long a circuit of your playing fields is in miles. Multiply this to get the distance to wherever you have chosen as your 'Walk to'. Thats how many circuits you need to do.

Get into teams. Walk every lunchtime/after school. Put some effort in. Get parents etc to sponsor you for each mile or circuit and a bonus if you/your team completes it.

Involve the local paper/radio station - they love 'teenagers doing good things' stories.

Celebrate your achievement! And you can use this as an example of 'works hard to achieve goals' in your UCAS Personal Statement.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilbircham)
    Raffle is a fun idea. I would suggest Nando's since it's a good social experience and a bit fancy as far as students go. You could aslo have a few little prizes like sunglasses, pencils, sweets etc. If you college has a little shop you could ask if they are willing to donate some items, but you can also just see what you can bulk buy online. If you take advantage of bulk buying, donations from college (or even local) shops, donations from students/ parents etc you can have "commiseration" prizes like sweets that are close to the ticket price if bough in shops, but that cost you way less. That way the ticket is totally worth it for the students, they're more likely to buy and you make more profit.

Have you considered taking advantage of parents? They're the ones with the cash and are usually up for helping fund raising that benefits their kids.
    Things like selling snacks at events with parents (making it clear what it's for), selling college related merch ("my kid goes to blank" kinda stuff), holding raffles for parents with things like an evening out, chocolates, wine etc.

You could also plan a fair like primary schools do. It's a good way to attract new students (selling point for your college) and brings in a bunch of people you can sell stuff to, hold raffles for etc (good for you).
    Christmas dinner is also a good plan. It's how my youth group made a lot of it's money. Invite parents for a meal made by students, have a reasonable ticket price, a raffle and optional donation box.

You could also see if your college would get on board with a fancy dress day or something where students give a 50p donation to wear whatever they want. You could also pair that with silly activities and snacks to make an event of it.

Whatever you do, make sure you advertise it (posters around college, letters/ emails home, flyers in local shops etc) and make it clear what the money is going towards. You could even have a goal for events like fairs. People love a group challenge. Say we're trying to raise x money for y thing (like a venue for prom or something) and have a big board with how much you've earned. A bit like how children in need does it.

Good luck!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 16, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.