Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

I want to dropout of school and become a rapper but parents and teachers againt is HE Watch

ReputationRep:
    No one is listening to what I want. My parents think its just phase Im going through but truth is music is my life, I have a strong IG fan base of around 7000 followers which I have built up over the past year, I am now even a verrified account and have earned my blue tick!

I am really ready to dropout of school and follow my dreams, if all the other rappers listened to people being negative they wouldnt be earning millions now. I nees advice on getting my parents to let me do what I want to do and not what they want me to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got Milk)
    No one is listening to what I want. My parents think its just phase Im going through but truth is music is my life, I have a strong IG fan base of around 7000 followers which I have built up over the past year, I am now even a verrified account and have earned my blue tick!

I am really ready to dropout of school and follow my dreams, if all the other rappers listened to people being negative they wouldnt be earning millions now. I nees advice on getting my parents to let me do what I want to do and not what they want me to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How old are you?, as you CAN NOT leave school these days untill you are 18, as there are legal implications, and you won't have qualifications. Unfortunately, your plan sounds totally implausible regrettably, but you can do it as a side project?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    7k followers is nothing lol but yeah chase your dream bro and do what you want to do and build up your fan base even bigger before you drop out

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for you chasing those dreams bro, but you'll have to tackle these first:

You can leave school at 16, but you have to be either at a 6th Form, Apprenticeship, Traineeship, etc, basically something to bridge the gap between 16-18. So one potential suggestion is seeing which Music Production traineeship or apprenticeship studios are in your area. I know in my area we have a studio that offers these kinds of traineeships to budding artists.

Alternatively, you can leave school at 18. This grants you significantly more freedoms, as you are no longer obliged to fulfill fulltime education.

I would assume the manner in which you could most convince your parents would be the Music Production traineeship? Maybe snag yourself with a small Label, once they see that you're putting in work and you're getting stuff back, they'll know that this is a sustainable path that they can send you out on. The reason they may be skeptical right now is that they still don't know if you can sustain this path, so by showing you can, they'll have no further reason to doubt you.

Also what's your IG, it'd be nice to listen

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You have to be in higher education or training until you're 18. However, don't let that stop you from doing rapping in your spare time.

Remember that there is very little room at the top for a profession like this, and careers are often very short. If you're really good enough to make it, keep working. And while you're at it, use that negativity you mentioned as lyric inspiration!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly? No matter how good you are, it's not worth giving up an education to try and become a rap star. Especially if British, considering exactly three decent talents have ever emerged: Mike Skinner, Wiley and Dizzy.

The UK doesn't really do hip hop well. Something to do with the accent making it sound retarded.

ReputationRep:
    If you listen to your parents and show them you're willing to finish school for your rapping career, they may see how serious you are about it, and help you to get it if that makes sense.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Firstly, there are age restrictions on leaving education as mentioned above.
    Also, I wouldn't advise leaving school. Having qualifications will give you a good back up. Say you are having a slow month with music or need some extra cash for equipment- you can get a part time job to pay for it.
    Say things end up more competitive than you expected and you want to rap as a hobby rather than getting caught up in all that- can't get a job without qualifications.
    I know it sucks, but education is important. Try to find courses that you enjoy like music or an apprenticeship linked to rapping. Might be worth you studying things to do with business and money management given you are planning to manage your own career. You need to do this so make the most of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kandiman)
    if British, considering exactly three decent talents have ever emerged: Mike Skinner, Wiley and Dizzy.
    Lukaku?

ReputationRep:
    Education is important though. You can still do both, and you're not guaranteed a career in 'rapping' anyway - your parents and teachers clearly have your best interest in mind.

ReputationRep:
    do something useful

ReputationRep:
    Well at least you remembered the second 'p'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think the smart thing to do would be to continue in education while doing rap in your spare time. Think about it JME has a degree why shouldn't you

ReputationRep:
    Do some gigs. You can absolutely do both things at the same time. It's no big deal.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2017
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.