Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

I'm the first black man to have visited a certain village in England Watch

ReputationRep:
    Went to this rural part of England and was told I was the first black man to visit by somw of the locals. Surely I should be written in some form of history book for records?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    that's super weird especially as I live in a big city so I see people of all different ethnicities literally everyday,

ReputationRep:
    Not really because it's not a big deal, the same thing happens when white people go to rural parts of India and Central Africa. All it does is highlight the fact that you're a minority in that region, nothing more nothing less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got Milk)
    Went to this rural part of England and was told I was the first black man to visit by somw of the locals. Surely I should be written in some form of history book for records?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which Village did you visit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matwillis)
    Not really because it's not a big deal, the same thing happens when white people go to rural parts of India and Central Africa. All it does is highlight the fact that you're a minority in that region, nothing more nothing less.
    I see no difference in my situation and christopher columbus. I discovered a land no black person had been.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I see no difference in my situation and christopher columbus. I discovered a land no black person had been.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    But the land was already discovered, everybody knew it was there. Just because you make such a big deal out of your race doesn't mean everyone else has too. No body says Christopher Columbus was the first white guy to discover the West Indies nor do they say Cook was the first white guy to discover Australia they say European. They focus on their geographic origins and not their race. So why are you making a big deal out of your skin colour?

Also discover and visit are different words. Visit makes more sense than discover in this context.

ReputationRep:
    But the land was already discovered, everybody knew it was there. Just because you make such a big deal out of your race doesn't mean everyone else has too. No body says Christopher Columbus was the first white guy to discover the West Indies nor do they say Cook was the first white guy to discover Australia they say European. They focus on their geographic origins and not their race. So why are you making a big deal out of your skin colour?

Also discover and visit are different words. Visit makes more sense than discover in this context.
    Go to google, type in "who discovered the west indies" what is the first name you see?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have a hard time believing that at least one other black person has never been to every place in England. Not saying you are lying I just think they are probably wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulno)
    I have a hard time believing that at least one other black person has never been to every place in England. Not saying you are lying I just think they are probably wrong.
    There are probably still some hamlets dotted about that have never seen any other skin colour than white arrive at. The kind of places that you'd only go to if you knew it was there, y'know? Probability wise it's unlikely, but not impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Go to google, type in "who discovered the west indies" what is the first name you see?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Christopher Columbus, i already said that though. But the wiki page accompanying it also says he was the first European not the first white guy to discover it. So yea, i'll quote: "Indigenous peoples were the first inhabitants of the West Indies. In 1492, Christopher Columbus became the first European to arrive at the islands, where he is believed by historians to have first stepped foot in the Bahamas."

ReputationRep:
    And?

ReputationRep:
    Name of the village?!?!

ReputationRep:
    Were they still nice to you though?

also what is the village called??

ReputationRep:
    Christopher Columbus, i already said that though. But the wiki page accompanying it also says he was the first European not the first white guy to discover it. So yea, i'll quote: "Indigenous peoples were the first inhabitants of the West Indies. In 1492, Christopher Columbus became the first European to arrive at the islands, where he is believed by historians to have first stepped foot in the Bahamas."
    +1

It's been known for quite a while that Indigenous Americans had some European ancestry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanB1991)
    +1

It's been known for quite a while that Indigenous Americans had some European ancestry.
    That doesn't make them European now does it plus at the time of their migration there was no concept of a Europe let alone a European so thanks for the irrelevent facts. Also if you're looking at the same stuff i am, it well known that native americans have 1/3 European genetic make-up and 2/3's East Asian. So what's your point?

ReputationRep:
    I did not say I was the first person to discover the village (obviously not if locals live there) like columbus I am the first non indigenous race to discover a certain area.

ReputationRep:
    I did not say I was the first person to discover the village (obviously not if locals live there) like columbus I am the first non indigenous race to discover a certain area.
    You just contradicted yourself in the same sentence. First you said you did not say "discover" in regards to the village then you say "I am the first non-indigenous race to discover a certain area." Like, seriously dude. Also earlier you said and i'll quote: "I discovered a land no black person had been." So, yes you did say that you discovered the village. Also non-indigenous could mean lots of different people. Everyone not indigenous to that small English village is not just black people and i doubt you know all people. So tell how do you know that there have never been any Asian people to that village or Hispanics. They are all non-indigenous and yet you believe you are the first out of centuries of immigration from the world. You believe you are the first non-indigenous person to that village? I highly doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit suspicious that you are not telling us the name of the village?

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.