The Student Room Group

Did graduating feel surreal to you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Honestly, didn't even go, was way too busy. But I'm not one for celebrations or ceremonial events.
Original post by StaffsUniDrew
I recently graduated from Staffordshire Uni this past week, and it was such a blur! Especially when I got up on stage to shake hands with the Dean and Vice Chancellor. One second I was ready to walk, the next I'm sat back down in my chair, applauding the rest of my course mates. Apparently my parents stood up and shouted well done, but I was so overloaded with sensory info that I couldn't hear them 🙈

Now that it's all over, I still can't believe it happened. It feels like a dream or something. Anybody else feeling like this too??

I think the actually day and ceremony is quite strange. It does feel a bit odd and if I'm honest I didn't feel that exhilarated by graduation day. I felt exhilarated when I knew I passed my exams or got a certain degree classification, but the actual graduation day I was fairly indifferent. I mean, I have a degree and a masters and got my masters diploma sent out to me in the post. It felt just the same as actually attending the graduation ceremony.
Original post by StaffsUniDrew
You'll get there eventually, don't you worry! In fact, come the start of your final year, you will blink and an entire year would have gone by. Trust me when I say don't wish away your time because it goes quicker than you think! 😄

I can see that! 1st Year flew past, by the time I had just able settled in, I was being shipped back home for the summer :biggrin:
Original post by Sae.HH
Honestly, didn't even go, was way too busy. But I'm not one for celebrations or ceremonial events.

See I'm not usually one for big celebrations either, at least for my birthdays or whatever. But to be honest it was nice to see people I've worked with and become friends to, and I think to me it was an important milestone to reach graduation. Like it felt official after that 😊
Original post by jestersnow
I think the actually day and ceremony is quite strange. It does feel a bit odd and if I'm honest I didn't feel that exhilarated by graduation day. I felt exhilarated when I knew I passed my exams or got a certain degree classification, but the actual graduation day I was fairly indifferent. I mean, I have a degree and a masters and got my masters diploma sent out to me in the post. It felt just the same as actually attending the graduation ceremony.

I think it helped that I was able to collect my degree on the day. Like I said in a previous post, having my graduation made it feel official, like an important milestone to reach. The actual day itself though was a blur and I think it had just hit me how 3 years had flown by! 😄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending