Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

I think we're in a 1914 situation Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think we're are in a 1914 polarised situation with things like Brexit, the unipolar / multipolar world idea, people trying to force the idea of allowing unlimited illegal immigration from the refugee flows v. People who want to resist it. Basically memes of drowning babies ie. emotion v. Cultural preservation.

We see incendiary situations every day of polarisation where people can't stand each other's opinion.

We see this in the mass media, Fox News v CNN, RT v BBC.

I would not be surprised if this turned into a civil war. There may be a period of calm where people simply censor their opinions then the storm will follow.

ReputationRep:
    London riots 2.0

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    London riots 2.0

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hated that - they smashed a Tesco shop next to me smh

ReputationRep:
    London riots 2.0

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think that with the rise of antifa and similar groups, we will see the same thing happen as Germany in the 1920s, left wing terrorism which then goads the right wing into action, followed by emergency measures followed by war.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmaooome)
    I hated that - they smashed a Tesco shop next to me smh
    I think problems would be greatly reduced if we got rid of social media.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  89.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empirical)
    I think we're are in a 1914 polarised situation with things like Brexit, the unipolar / multipolar world idea, people trying to force the idea of allowing unlimited illegal immigration from the refugee flows v. People who want to resist it. Basically memes of drowning babies ie. emotion v. Cultural preservation.

We see incendiary situations every day of polarisation where people can't stand each other's opinion.

I would not be surprised if this turned into a civil war. There may be a period of calm where people simply censor their opinions then the storm will follow.
    This is nothing like 1914. 1914 was a completely different situation. Britain was still a super power and all the countries were competing with each other for different things like colonising Africa and trying to establish their selves as the big power in Europe.

If we are to compare our society to past years, then it would be more accurate to compare it to the post world war 2 generation.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree, everything on the media is solely hyperbolic of the actual situation hence causing more larger and more intense problems to occur

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The World Wars probably wouldn't have happened without the news networks.

Let's face it once these things come, there is no going back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantine2016)
    This is nothing like 1914. 1914 was a completely different situation. Britain was still a super power and all the countries were competing with each other for different things like colonising Africa and trying to establish their selves as the big power in Europe.

If we are to compare our society to past years, then it would be more accurate to compare it to the post world war 2 generation.
    While the variables are very different today than 1914, the polarisation is similar. And the deafening silence which is the void there this polarisation is avoided is similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

It sounds more like you just live on the internet to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    While the variables are very different today than 1914, the polarisation is similar. And the deafening silence which is the void there this polarisation is avoided is similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    British society has always been polarised. Whether it was the rich vs the poor in the 19th century, a welfare state vs laissez faire in the 20th century, society has never been in united agreement.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you really understand 1914 very well mate

ReputationRep:

What a load of toss!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the idea of allowing unlimited illegal immigration from the refugee flows v. People who want to resist it.
    Point of information. No one is suggesting unlimited illegal immigrantion or refugees. No one. The EU stands for the free movement of EU citizens who may work anywhere in the EU. Please do not confuse two vastly different issues.

ReputationRep:
    The EU doesn't really stand for anything.

ReputationRep:
    How about ethnic and racial preservation what is wrong with this exactly?

ReputationRep:
    The World Wars probably wouldn't have happened without the news networks.
    Can't tell if trolling or just phenomenally stupid.

In 1914 there was no TV. The only news was newspapers, very few people in Europe (basically only diplomats and other Foreign Ministry people) would have ever read or even heard of a newspaper based in any country but their own, and apart from Britain, France and Germany, vast swathes of every European country involved in WW1 were still functionally illiterate anyway.

Also, the OP analogy doesn't work at all even on your own terms - you're comparing internal political polarisation within countries to international polarisation between countries, and comparing ideological polarisation to essentially pragmatic non-ideological imperial alliance polarisation.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.