Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Nikon D3300 vs Canon EOS 1300D? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to buy my first DSLR and I'm not sure which of those to choose! It seems like the Nikon has better image quality, whereas the Canon is cheaper and comes with built-in wifi?

What would you advise?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hysterria)
    I'm looking to buy my first DSLR and I'm not sure which of those to choose! It seems like the Nikon has better image quality, whereas the Canon is cheaper and comes with built-in wifi?

What would you advise?
    Hey there!

I'm sorry, when it comes to cameras I'm not very knowledgable. But I'll just tag Gofre, as he's an expert in this sort of stuff!

Sorry I couldn't be of any help
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:

What would you advise?
    Do you have a particular sort of photography you want to do? What's your overall budget? Do you specifically want a DSLR or are you open to mirrorless cameras too?

ReputationRep:
    the Nikon d3300 has a much higher ISO range, giving you better image quality in low light. I would reccomend the Nikon d3400, it comes with an app called "SnapBridge" that automatically downloads the photos you take to your phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Do you have a particular sort of photography you want to do? What's your overall budget? Do you specifically want a DSLR or are you open to mirrorless cameras too?
    I'm going to travel a lot in the coming year, so I'd be most interested in landscapes/architecture, so mostly things that don't move... idk much about different sorts of photography, hope this helps.
    I would rather not spend over 500 pounds, but if I find something good that's more expensive I think I can go up to 600/700.
    I haven't really looked into mirrorless cameras, as I read online that DSLRs are generally better, but if there's a good mirrorless camera out there I'd be open to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glammow)
    the Nikon d3300 has a much higher ISO range, giving you better image quality in low light. I would reccomend the Nikon d3400, it comes with an app called "SnapBridge" that automatically downloads the photos you take to your phone.
    I see! Are there any other differences between these two? (I'm not sure I'm willing to pay 50 quid extra just for that app...)

ReputationRep:
    I see! Are there any other differences between these two? (I'm not sure I'm willing to pay 50 quid extra just for that app...)
    The d3400 has an improved battery life, in one charge it can take around 1200 photos compared to the d3300s 700.

ReputationRep:
    As a life long Canon owner, my preferences are somewhat bias.

With that said it depends on what sort of photos you plan to be taking.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to travel a lot in the coming year, so I'd be most interested in landscapes/architecture, so mostly things that don't move... idk much about different sorts of photography, hope this helps.
    I would rather not spend over 500 pounds, but if I find something good that's more expensive I think I can go up to 600/700.
    I haven't really looked into mirrorless cameras, as I read online that DSLRs are generally better, but if there's a good mirrorless camera out there I'd be open to it
    Mirrorless cameras are essentially DSLRs with the optical viewfinder removed (optical viewfinder are built around a mirror, hence the term mirrorless) and replaced with an electronic viewfinder, or no viewfinder at all in cheaper models. Take a look at the Fuji X-T10 and Sony A6000, they're terrific cameras.

But yeah, don't get the 1300D, it's just a bit too cheap when you could spend a little extra and get a 100D, or a 700D for under your initial £500 budget. The D3300/3400 will have potentially better image quality, but as a beginner you will be a bigger limitation on your image quality than the camera will be. Go into a camera store and try out different models to see which you like the feel of best.

ReputationRep:
    For less than £500 you could get a Nikon D5500. You won't notice most of the extra features, but it has an articulating screen that you can use with live view, which you might find handy for getting pictures from certain angles. I have a D3300 myself and it is a very good camera. If you don't get the D5500, I would recommend getting a D3400 (kit) and the 35mm f/1.8 dx lens. You will want the kit lens for wide angles, but the 35mm is just great as a general walking around lens and is good ffor low light.

Most of the pictures on my flickr account were taken with a D3300.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 20, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.