Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I‘m going to college this September (Previously been to another college), I would like to further my studies in Spanish, maybe going for A-Level and further. I‘m not taking Spanish in the college that I‘m going to, but there are evening classes in Spanish. I haven‘t taken A-Level Spanish so I‘m confused to how I could study going on to A-Level (If I wanted to)? I‘ve seen previous advertisements about universities and I am interested, but if I ever went to university, I would like to take Spanish. Any information would be appreciated.
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    I would recommend looking at different university courses and seeing which interest you, and confirming what the entry criteria are for them. Some may not require a specific Spanish background but still enable you to study it further - for example Spanish and Latin American Studies at the University of Stirling has the option to either study Spanish language on the course from beginners or advanced level depending whether you have A-level Spanish. There are similar course in Hispanic Studies at e.g. the universities of Kent and Nottingham in England as well.

    Typically Hispanic/Spanish Studies degrees can include language study, either as a core element or an optional one, either from beginners or advanced level, whereas Modern Languages degrees in Spanish require the A-level (and often require you to study more than one language). Additionally joint honours courses (e.g. Accounting and Spanish, History and Spanish etc,) usually have pathways for students both with and without the language at A-level, although this does vary between universities and courses.

    Regarding taking the A-level, as above this may not be necessary, but if it's an area of interest for you it's natural you would want to pursue it earlier rather than later. In this case you would be best placed to speak with the college, see if they offer the A-level and see if there are alternate potential routes to it without the GCSE. Given the relatively short amount of time before the course starts, you may be somewhat limited - if there are intensive/immersive Spanish language courses available, these may provide the necessary background. Evening classes may not cover enough material in the shorter time period before studies commence at your new college. In either case, speak with the college and see if either of these would be an acceptable alternative.


    Have you tried the open university?
    I think they offer courses in French, German and Spanish.
    They usually start of from the beginning as you work you way towards a degree or lower level if you want
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 16, 2017
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.