Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Applying to two courses? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

This fall I will be applying to universities in the UK. I am currently taking the IB diploma and am likely to be predicted around 44-45 points.

My absolute dream university is UCL and I would absolutely love to get accepted there. I've been changing my mind a bit these last couple of months regarding what I want to study (between Mathematics and Physics). Right now I'm leaning towards Physics.
    Since going to UCL is such a dream of mine I was wondering if it might be smart to apply to two different UCL courses? (as I know that they're insane competitive and do reject people with 45s as well)

This would be either

Physics AND Mathematics & Physics

OR

Physics AND Mathematics

Is this completely unnecessary or should I try it?

Thank you for any help or advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexa2819)
    Hi!

This fall I will be applying to universities in the UK. I am currently taking the IB diploma and am likely to be predicted around 44-45 points.

My absolute dream university is UCL and I would absolutely love to get accepted there. I've been changing my mind a bit these last couple of months regarding what I want to study (between Mathematics and Physics). Right now I'm leaning towards Physics.
    Since going to UCL is such a dream of mine I was wondering if it might be smart to apply to two different UCL courses? (as I know that they're insane competitive and do reject people with 45s as well)

This would be either

Physics AND Mathematics & Physics

OR

Physics AND Mathematics

Is this completely unnecessary or should I try it?

Thank you for any help or advice.
    For my postgraduate degrees I applied to two places. I got the offer from one and then took it right away. It's fine provided that they are both very similar. If you're not sure, apply to both, if they ask just say you wasn't sure if you could change.

I also find it extremely hard to believe that it's "a dream". Maybe studying in the UK is your goal but don't put all your eggs in one basket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aware1)
    For my postgraduate degrees I applied to two places. I got the offer from one and then took it right away. It's fine provided that they are both very similar. If you're not sure, apply to both, if they ask just say you wasn't sure if you could change.

I also find it extremely hard to believe that it's "a dream". Maybe studying in the UK is your goal but don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Thanks for your response.

What I meant by saying that it is "a dream" is that I would love to go to UCL. Of course, I am applying to other universities as well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really recommend it. If they will take you for one course, they would take you for both - equally if they don't want to take you for one, they're extremely unlikely to want to take you for the other. If you're interested in both and aren't sure which to apply for, apply to the joint honours, and only the joint honours. This will give you flexibility in focusing on one area or the other potentially, as you may be able to transfer from the joint course to one of the single honours courses after first year if you find your interests increasingly focused in one area.

Also UCL maths has a fair amount of theoretical/mathematical physics content anyway, so if you feel yourself leaning towards physics you can have a physics focused experience on the joint honours regardless. It's more if you decide you love pure mathematics and want to become a number theorist (because you don't love yourself I assume being the only reason you would want the latter...) or something then you can probably switch into the single honours maths course.

But applying for more than one course at a given institution doesn't make it more like you'll study there - you're as likely to get one offer, and possibly more likely to get none. Unless they have multiple campuses and you can't decide between them (e.g. Exeter with the Cornwall/Exeter campuses) then there really isn't any point (there's not really any point in doing that either but it's marginally better reasoning than that indicated).

I'm not really sure where you get this "and they reject people with 45s as well" business either. Unless said applicant just wrote "hurr durr give me goldman sachs job pls" for their personal statement and/or commited one, or applied despite not actually having any of the relevant subjects at HL, I find that hard to believe. Also don't use medicine as a metric for this as it is frankly incomparable to other courses due to the nature of the course and profession.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.