Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am just looking for some advice/ opinions / experiences. I am almost finished studying for a BEng part time whilst working in the engineering industry.
    I want to do a masters degree.
    But the engineering masters degree at my university isn't great. I can't go to another university as I have to work and do not get given study time out to study.
    From the modules you can chose from, the majority are maths or software/ electronics stuff.
    I am on the mechanical engineering side and so not really interested in the IT/ software stuff.
    I looked at the MSc in mathematics and a lot of the modules for this are the same as for the MEng.
    I like maths and have always performed best on my maths modules for my degree.
    The university said that my degree in engineering would be fine if I wanted to study the masters in maths.

But I don't know if studying for a masters in maths is a good idea.
    I work in the engineering industry and want to continue to do so.

Would getting a masters in maths rather than engineering be a good idea? Or does it look as though I am not really committed to staying in engineering?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janeesmith)
    Hello,

I am just looking for some advice/ opinions / experiences. I am almost finished studying for a BEng part time whilst working in the engineering industry.
    But the engineering masters degree at my university isn't great. I can't go to another university as I have to work and do not get given study time out to study.
    From the modules you can chose from, the majority are maths or software/ electronics stuff.
    I am on the mechanical engineering side and so not really interested in the IT/ software stuff.
    I looked at the MSc in mathematics and a lot of the modules for this are the same as for the MEng.
    The university said that my degree in engineering would be fine if I wanted to study the masters in maths.

Would getting a masters in maths rather than engineering be a good idea? Or does it look as though I am not really committed to staying in engineering?
    If you want to stay in engineering it would make more sense to complete the MEng. Also, are you getting student funding for your BEng? If so this will continue for the MEng but might be more complicated for a standalone MSc.

Tagging Smack for his thoughts...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

What is does your current position involve, and where do you want to go with your career? Unless you really need the content taught by the masters in maths, would graduating with the BEng maybe be a better option?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If your intent is to continue in engineering as a profession and eventually attain CEng, be aware that only specific accredited MSc courses fulfill the academic learning requirement for this. If this is your goal, you may end having to do a second masters later down the line (or a PhD/EngD although you'd probably need to assemble a portfolio of work demonstrating the relevant skills have been gained from this).

Also most MSc Maths courses, even applied/modelling focused ones, tend to assume a great deal of undergraduate mathematics - specifically, even if you aren't overtly using it the lecturers and coursework/exams will probably assume you're familiar with e.g. abstract linear algebra and basic epsilon-delta approaches to calculus if not proper analysis. This is very unlikely to have been covered in your maths modules (as by and large it's not really useful or relevant for the average engineer) and you may be at a disadvantage as a result.

Which university are you at, out of interest? Some of the modules which don't seem as immediately relevant to mechanical engineering may be more relevant to the practice of mechanical engineering in industry than you think

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Are you aiming for Chartered status? An MEng woud help towards that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    If your intent is to continue in engineering as a profession and eventually attain CEng, be aware that only specific accredited MSc courses fulfill the academic learning requirement for this.
    This is not the case. If you have qualifications which are not accredited by the institution you are applying to for chartered status, your qualifications can undergo an academic review to determine if they provide the necessary knowledge and understanding that an accredited qualification would cover.

And if you don't have a masters level qualification, but are working at masters level, you can submit a technical report to demonstrate this and achieve chartership without having to go back and study again.

Also most MSc Maths courses, even applied/modelling focused ones, tend to assume a great deal of undergraduate mathematics - specifically, even if you aren't overtly using it the lecturers and coursework/exams will probably assume you're familiar with e.g. abstract linear algebra and basic epsilon-delta approaches to calculus if not proper analysis. This is very unlikely to have been covered in your maths modules (as by and large it's not really useful or relevant for the average engineer) and you may be at a disadvantage as a result.
    I agree fully with this. I am quite surprised to hear about a maths masters degree having a lot of similar modules to the MEng in engineering; they are usually very different. However, if the university has given it the okay, it must be okay.

ReputationRep:
    It must be a real dud university if the MEng and the MSc are mostly similar, Engineering and Maths are two completely different subjects.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.