Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Can a barcode scanner cause spots if aimed at my forehead ? Watch

I bought a small mini barcode scanner (symbol cs1505 scanner) and I was curious to see how bright it was ( turned out to be very very bright )and shone it in my eyes a few times and the laser kept bouncing up and hitting my forehead. The next day I noticed small spots on the middle of my forehead, not bad spots but still not very nice.

Just wondering, could the laser radiation from the barcode scanner have caused the spots on my forehead ?

It is a class 2 scanner

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Nah it couldn't, you aren't meant to look directly at barcodes though so be careful there. Barcode scanners work by shining a light on a barcodes and then bits of light are reflected back by the white bits in between the bars and data is gotten from that. There's no radiation or anything really, it's just a red light

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cait1239)
    Nah it couldn't, you aren't meant to look directly at barcodes though so be careful there. Barcode scanners work by shining a light on a barcodes and then bits of light are reflected back by the white bits in between the bars and data is gotten from that. There's no radiation or anything really, it's just a red light
    Light is radiation. But beyond that you are correct.

How do people remove the barcodes in a store to stop the shop alarms from tripping out ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_atheist)
    Light is radiation. But beyond that you are correct.
    Oh my bad there! Thanks for the correction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How do people remove the barcodes in a store to stop the shop alarms from tripping out ?
    The scanners dont detect barcodes, they detect sensors.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, I was really just saying what I know from my IT a level. Though I do work in a supermarket and the items with just barcodes don't trip out the alarms if they aren't scanned, it's more a stock thing, the alarms only go off if they have security tags like the big grey things they take off bottles of spirits or off of clothes at the till. I may be wrong but this is just from my experience, hope it helps!

Oh my bad there! Thanks for the correction
    Would swiping a magnet above a barcode stop the barcode from tripping the store alarm gates ?

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to most people beliefs barcodes don’t trip the alarms, it’s the tags which do. So if the item isn’t tagged, it won’t sound the alarm. But the supermarkets probably don’t want you to know that

ReputationRep:
    You're that guy who is obsessed with barcodes I see

(Original post by Ezisola)
    The scanners dont detect barcodes, they detect sensors.
    I'm not sure, I was really just saying what I know from my IT a level. Though I do work in a supermarket and the items with just barcodes don't trip out the alarms if they aren't scanned, it's more a stock thing, the alarms only go off if they have security tags like the big grey things they take off bottles of spirits or off of clothes at the till. I may be wrong but this is just from my experience, hope it helps!
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Contrary to most people beliefs barcodes don’t trip the alarms, it’s the tags which do. So if the item isn’t tagged, it won’t sound the alarm. But the supermarkets probably don’t want you to know that
    (Original post by Uiiosk)
    You're that guy who is obsessed with barcodes I see
    I know tags set off alarms, but so do barcodes

ReputationRep:
    They dont.

/Thread

ReputationRep:
    Would swiping a magnet above a barcode stop the barcode from tripping the store alarm gates ?
    Barcodes don't set off shop alarms.

T
    (Original post by Ezisola)
    They dont.

/Thread
    (Original post by Jasaron)
    Barcodes don't set off shop alarms.
    Actually they do, they are magnetised

ReputationRep:
    Barcodes don't set them off

ReputationRep:
    They don’t. Only tagged items do, I’ve worked in retail before. I know Waitrose tag products that Tesco wouldn’t because they have these flat green stickers with small metal pieces inside, only Waitrose use them though. Otherwise anything with a grey tag triggers the alarm, NOT barcodes.

They don’t. Only tagged items do, I’ve worked in retail before. I know Waitrose tag products that Tesco wouldn’t because they have these flat green stickers with small metal pieces inside, only Waitrose use them though. Otherwise anything with a grey tag triggers the alarm, NOT barcodes.
    They do they do they do !!

Not all stores set up there alarm systems to detect unscanned barcodes, but many do !

They do they do they do !!

Not all stores set up there alarm systems to detect unscanned barcodes, but many do !
    Lmao no they don't. A barcode is just something printed on the product/package. There is nothing there to trigger an alarm. It's ink.

ReputationRep:
    T

Actually they do, they are magnetised
    How do you magnetise some ink on a bit of card?

I think what you mean is that the scanners can detect the sensor underneath a barcode.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    OP is a troll - he's always posting about barcode scanners, most recently, a fetish for them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.