Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

To what extent will my mental health history affect my chances of becoming a doctor? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My history with mental health is pretty bad, yet right now, and for the past four years, my mental health has improved drastically and I've been in such a better place. At one point the police had to come round my house because I was at a very high risk of suicide. I used to self-harm pretty bad, and have pretty huge and noticeable scars which have turned white in colour but are still noticeable. I can cover them with make-up but they are still noticeable to some extent because of the bumps. I've always wanted to go into the medicine industry but feel as though I have ****ed it up. I don't want to give up, but I feel as though I will not be allowed to work with patients in the future because I am "vulnerable" to mental illness and that I may trigger patients if they notice my scars. I want to get a tattoo to cover them, but I don't know to what extent tattoos are considered appropriate for doctors. I just don't know. Can someone please give me some insight on my question? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anestic)
    My history with mental health is pretty bad, yet right now, and for the past four years, my mental health has improved drastically and I've been in such a better place. At one point the police had to come round my house because I was at a very high risk of suicide. I used to self-harm pretty bad, and have pretty huge and noticeable scars which have turned white in colour but are still noticeable. I can cover them with make-up but they are still noticeable to some extent because of the bumps. I've always wanted to go into the medicine industry but feel as though I have ****ed it up. I don't want to give up, but I feel as though I will not be allowed to work with patients in the future because I am "vulnerable" to mental illness and that I may trigger patients if they notice my scars. I want to get a tattoo to cover them, but I don't know to what extent tattoos are considered appropriate for doctors. I just don't know. Can someone please give me some insight on my question? x
    I can't speak for medicine but I'm a mental health nursing student and it hasn't been a problem for me. In fact loads of people on my course have significant mental health history and quite a few of us have SH scars - including one girl on her face. It can be a little embarrassing at times however I wouldn't say it's ever been a problem for me, if anything it has helped some patients relate and helped forming rapport.

My occupation health doctor wasn't worried about me being vulnerable when working around others with mental health issues and if anything I would say my experiences help me empathise with some patients. I was however understandably upset when one of my patients killed themselves, but I think if you can recognise when you something is distressing to you and seek help it's not an issue.

Unfortunately most tattooists are reluctant to work on SH scars as I'm told the ink may run.

4 years is a long time to be stable for so well done. I'm pretty sure most doctors would respect this and not worry about your past.

ReputationRep:
    Google the GMC fitness to practice criteria, this should help put your mind at ease.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2017
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.