Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I'll try to condense my story, but ask me anything you want to know and I may answer it.

After graduating with an MA degree in something totally unrelated I went into the video games industry doing localisation, eventually gaining a management position. Truth be told, I was happy at first because this was my adolescence dream come true. I worked at a company for two years, and little by little came to detest the ways of the industry (and office jobs in general). Therefore, I decided I will do something that feels more like its serving a purpose, and succesfully applied to a PGCE programme.

I feel positive about becoming an English teacher, and I look forward to working with young people. Although, I am aware that it's gonna be tough. I'm not one of those people who wants to save the world and make sure that all kids learn, because I know from my own school experience that there are just people who a) Just don't want to learn, and b) Give a s**t about what you have to say. We've all been there, hah! But I'll do the best I can.

Now the thing is, I'm not originally from the UK but from Germany, and only know the German education system.

- Can anyone tell me what exactly is different about classrooms here?
    - Is there actually a real difference?
    - What does a regular day of work for an English teacher look like?

I don't think I'll be scared off by stories like "too much OT". Been there, done that: I was constantly required to stay in late, had to work weekends with no days off the subsequent week,11hrs shifts or 3pm-1am shifts.

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

The best way to find out (and the only way to get on a course) is through in school experience. There is a govt website that may be able to find some, or you just need to get on the phone to schools and ask to spend time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised you weren't asked to do 2 weeks school experience before being accepted and why you didn't apply for Computer Science as it seems more fitting around your current experience - they pay you to train...

I don't know what the German education system is like to do a direct comparison. UK students start age 4 and must stay in education until their 18, wearing a school uniform throughout. All students 14-16 will be studying for GCSEs and will need to resit Math and English until they pass. 16+ students can choose to study A-Levels, or go to college to do more vocational courses and 18+ students tend to enter employment or go to University. The school day is typically 9am - 3pm but some schools will differ, Monday to Friday.
    Classroom sizes differ between schools - every student must take English so class sizes will be around 30, however, this can range from 25-40 in some schools. Students need to take English Language and English Literature (unless their low ability, then they just take English Language). you can find out more about content here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/engli...-language-8700 and http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/engli...iterature-8702

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.