Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Medicine and a Language at Uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    -Believe me, I have a father and many friends and family who did Medicine, you will not want to do a dual honours, it's so demanding on it's own, that academically, if you want to succeed in Medicine, you should probably focus your efforts on Medicine alone, hence why it's not offered as a Dual, however there are some options here.

1) You can study French in your (little) free-time. I said Medicine took up a lot of your time, not ALL of it, there are plenty of ways to learn good French with minimal efforts. Might I suggest apps such as Duolingo? Or Babbel? They are free applications that will significantly boost your profficiency in French, and other mediums you could use that would be more flexible around you, and thus you would get more out of it, as opposed to a more stressful honours that, even if it was offered, you'd end up dropping anyway by 3rd Year.

2) Study Medicine, at a French institution. Now this is if you were already decent enough at French to even qualify. There's 2 sub-options here, perhaps you could go to some place like Canada, where English is also largely spoken, or to France, or another Francophone country. You could study at an English-speaking Degree Course whilst immersing yourself in a French country, thus immersing yourself to both forms, this is quite a wildcard of a choice, but not completely out of reach.

Alternatively you could study French-speaking Degree in a French institution, but that would only accept you under the assumption you were already EXTREMELY and I mean EXTREMELY good at French, good enough to work under Medical French (which, might I add, is different to regular conversational French, you're going to be working with completely unfamiliar territory), and even if you did choose that, you probably wouldn't need to have done a French honour anyway. But then again, the qualification in itself could act as a showing of good French.

All in all, it's probably in your best interest to just focus on Medicine, and there are plenty of easier, free and less time consuming alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    I took Spanish lessons alongside Medicine for the four out of five years of the course. It's entirely possible, and the internet makes learning so much easier. I also used to listen to Spanish music on my way to placement and read Spanish books (easy ones) on weekends. Plus there are apps out there like Duolingo which you can use when commuting.

I don't see why you shouldn't have free time to learn a language while at uni, even if you are studying medicine (I feel like medical students have more free time than people believe, or at least I did). Lots of people have extracurricular activities/societies, it just depends on what is important to you and how you use your time.

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to say: Having a second language is so useful and well worth your time. It will not form part of your degree, but do keep that determination to learn French and pursue it in your own time.

ReputationRep:
    I agree you need hobbies as a med student and doctor but am not sure more studying is the sort of hobby you need. I'd save studying languages for when you have finished all your medical exams and training. If you're really keen you can get lots of downloadable courses or most cities have French evening classes but I went to med school thinking I could do English Lit related studying in my spare time and found I wanted to do sports and something where my brain could zone out a bit to stay sane.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.