Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Who should lead the Tory Party after May? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Well yeah, but I was asked who i would rather. Voting in the party line is something MPs do, although I still think it make you culpable in the consequences, if Allen really cares she should either vote against or cross party lines. But if Allen was in charge she would dictate the party line.

I'm not endorsing the Tory party.

Also Ken Clarke is like Osbourne. Poeple like him for being pro EU, fee movemnet etc, but actually supports nasty economics. The reason I have good things to say about Allen is she has actually caused some kind of fuss over the poeple who are the victims of that nasty economics.
    Aye, I do like a lot of what Allen says but if she really believed it and felt strongly about it, she wouldn't have voted how she has. No use giving a passionate speech against the DUP and then voting through the deal.

Someone like Allen would worry me. I'd rather a PM who admitted they don't like public sector workers rather than one who claims to love them and then votes for their pay freeze.

ReputationRep:
    floccinaucinihilipilification

That is all I need to say.

ReputationRep:
    If it is just the current crop of crap then most likely David Davis or Sajid Javid would clinche it, both would probably rip the Tory party to shreds though if either of them wins.

ReputationRep:
    Unless the Mogg decides to run I think David Davis would be the best in the current cabinet.

David Davis as PM, Andrea Leadsom as Deputy PM and EU Exit Sec, Amber Rudd as Foreign Sec, Iain Duncan Smith as Home Secretary. Gove can get the Justice role back, Liam Fox can give Health Sec a try, maybe have Adam Afriyie as Business Sec.

Five years after brexit negotiations I would like to see Stephen Crabb, Sajid Javid, Dominic Raab and Ruth Davidson lead the party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottishBrexitor)
    Unless the Mogg decides to run I think David Davis would be the best in the current cabinet.

David Davis as PM, Andrea Leadsom as Deputy PM and EU Exit Sec, Amber Rudd as Foreign Sec, Iain Duncan Smith as Home Secretary. Gove can get the Justice role back, Liam Fox can give Health Sec a try, maybe have Adam Afriyie as Business Sec.

Five years after brexit negotiations I would like to see Stephen Crabb, Sajid Javid, Dominic Raab and Ruth Davidson lead the party.
    So, basically, all the Brexit Ladz for now, and after all that's completed you want all the moderates in?

An unusual position, but fair enough. I supported Crabb at the last leadership election, but it was his own stupid private life that cocked that up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I'm wary of the soft spot labour supporters have for the likes of Heidi Allen, Soubry, Ken Clare, Ruth Davidson etc.

Yes they may sound and come across reasonable and not nasty but when push comes to shove they will always vote with the Tory line. E.g the public sector pay cap. Judge them on their actions not their words.
    Several Conservatives have spoken out publicly against continuing the public sector pay cap. There is a broad feeling in the party from across many parts of it that the cap is soon coming to the end of its life - obviously inflation will have an impact, as will other indicators. I, for one, accept that there will have to be movement on public sector pay.

Let's not forget Labour initially backed the current cap, and indeed proposed it first - in the 2009 pre-budget report. This isn't an ideological divide, it's one of degree by which we balance incomes and public spending.

(Original post by Bornblue)
    Aye, I do like a lot of what Allen says but if she really believed it and felt strongly about it, she wouldn't have voted how she has. No use giving a passionate speech against the DUP and then voting through the deal.

Someone like Allen would worry me. I'd rather a PM who admitted they don't like public sector workers rather than one who claims to love them and then votes for their pay freeze.
    I'm no fan of the Opposition parties putting forward motions and amendments with a lot of their policies in them, and then declaring that other MPs voted against something in particular. It's a bit like if Theresa May turned around and said Labour voted against increasing the NHS budget because they voted against the Government's budget. It's playground stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridocyclitis)
    All others might just beat off Corbyn
    Christ. I'm all for cross-party co-operation, but there's a limit.

ReputationRep:
    Rudd but she's got a tiny majority which is why I think it could be Davies, especially if brexit goes ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Either Rees-Mogg or Philip Davies - two of the very few politicians who actually care about the average white British Christian man.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Several Conservatives have spoken out publicly against continuing the public sector pay cap. There is a broad feeling in the party from across many parts of it that the cap is soon coming to the end of its life - obviously inflation will have an impact, as will other indicators. I, for one, accept that there will have to be movement on public sector pay.

Let's not forget Labour initially backed the current cap, and indeed proposed it first - in the 2009 pre-budget report. This isn't an ideological divide, it's one of degree by which we balance incomes and public spending.

I'm no fan of the Opposition parties putting forward motions and amendments with a lot of their policies in them, and then declaring that other MPs voted against something in particular. It's a bit like if Theresa May turned around and said Labour voted against increasing the NHS budget because they voted against the Government's budget. It's playground stuff.
    It's not a good look though when Hammond basically says public sector workers are overpaid when he recently accepted a £10,000 pay rise and has two houses paid for by the public.

I want to respect Hammond given he seems the only hope of a sane Brexit but he's making it hard when he says things like that.

Point taken on latter paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    The Mog. The Tory version of Corbyn.

Makes about as much sense as anything else that has happened in the last couple of years.

In terms of a Tory I personally prefer, Heidi Allen.

http://averypublicsociologist.blogsp...ry-leader.html
    Are you joking? she votes against equalities and human rights laws, against investigating Iraq War, EU nationals living in the UK having the right to stay, voted for making disabled people poorer, voted against higher taxes on banks, voted for restrictive trade union laws and is against pretty much all constitutional reforms to make the UK more democratic and liberal. Are you really Labour or some kind of Conservative insider? because I don't understand why a Labour supporter would want a more right-wing Tory leader.

(Original post by paul514)
    Rudd but she's got a tiny majority which is why I think it could be Davies, especially if brexit goes ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So we go from the MayBot to the RudBot. Great. Just what the country needs, another emotionless drone.

(Original post by L i b)
    Christ. I'm all for cross-party co-operation, but there's a limit.
    Says the person who could not understand my issues with the Tories signing a pact with the DUP but tried telling me I have no reason to dislike it. The Right-Wing people, unable to practice what they preach. Unless it suits them of course. Mental gymnastics should become an Olympic sport. You'd get a Gold medal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden State)
    I hope it is Jacob Rees-Mogg.
    (Original post by George32)
    It'd definitely be a much more interesting dynamic in politics: JRM's literally the antithesis of Corbyn, and he's pretty likeable too despite this, so PMQs and subsequent campaigns would be pretty engaging to watch, as would his leadership and policies.
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Big Mogg
    You guys cannot be serious. What world do you live in? Zac Goldsmith a Social Liberal Tory who supports same-sex marriage and green politics, lost to Muslim in the London Mayor election. In the height of radical islamic terrorism and islamophobia. Goldsmith was crushed. It was Ruth Davidson, a human rights supporting Lesbian who dragged the UK Tories into getting more MPs in Scotland.

Without her modernising efforts the UK Tories would not be in government, it would not have the numbers even with the DUP. Mogg would undo all the efforts Cameron made to attract centre-right floating voters in a heartbeat. He gets away with it now because his views and voting record are not under scrutiny. But the guy would burn under the media spotlight. His even too right-wing for the 1990s. Mogg as the Conservative party leader would kill it's chance of ever gaining a majority for a generation.

Mogg... :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to be loving Jacob Rees-Mogg, quite strange considering most people would see him as a PM from the 1800s.

I wouldn’t mind him, I’ve always liked him I just think he needs to show he can interact with people. And he doesn’t seem to be putting himself forward and lacks any government experience. An excellent Parliamentarian but I don’t think he’s qualified enough for PM.

For May to win in the first place showed just how much the conservatives are lacking candidates, I think Osbournes one-nation Tory side of the party will be looking to retake government and are the most likely side to win an election. Any shifts to the right and a Corbyn government becomes all too real.

I wouldn’t mind BoJo taking the keys to No10, it just saddens me labour couldn’t beat someone as weak as TM. Corbyn certianly would’ve been wiped out by Cameron and likely Osbourne, yet he celebrates gains against TM? Someone with no charisma, has awful policies & a bad record, is an embarrassment with an awful agenda, shows poor leadership and is out of touch, etc etc. I reckon Even good old Mr Brown would’ve wiped the floor with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    Are you joking? she votes against equalities and human rights laws, against investigating Iraq War, EU nationals living in the UK having the right to stay, voted for making disabled people poorer, voted against higher taxes on banks, voted for restrictive trade union laws and is against pretty much all constitutional reforms to make the UK more democratic and liberal. Are you really Labour or some kind of Conservative insider? because I don't understand why a Labour supporter would want a more right-wing Tory leader.

So we go from the MayBot to the RudBot. Great. Just what the country needs, another emotionless drone.

Says the person who could not understand my issues with the Tories signing a pact with the DUP but tried telling me I have no reason to dislike it. The Right-Wing people, unable to practice what they preach. Unless it suits them of course. Mental gymnastics should become an Olympic sport. You'd get a Gold medal.

:rofl:

I was asked to find the most polished from a party of turds alright?

Mogg... :facepalm2:

Can't Clogg the Mogg:bl:

ReputationRep:
    Surprised that Priti Patel hasn't been mentioned here. I think she could be a strong candidate for the leadership.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_jg)
    Surprised that Priti Patel hasn't been mentioned here. I think she could be a strong candidate for the leadership.
    She comes across very well in interviews and debates. But her political views and voting record would betray her. How on earth is she going to win over a majority people under 35 when she voted against same-sex marriage (!!), supports the death penalty and the tobacco industry? She'd need a major PR spin job. Conservative leader maybe but I can't see her current views winning a Tory majority.

ReputationRep:
    She comes across very well in interviews and debates. But her political views and voting record would betray her. How on earth is she going to win over a majority people under 35 when she voted against same-sex marriage (!!), supports the death penalty and the tobacco industry? She'd need a major PR spin job. Conservative leader maybe but I can't see her current views winning a Tory majority.
    If Hillary Clinton can win youth support then I'm very confident that Priti Patel can. I think you're right that she'd need a major PR spin job, though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George32)
    I've heard of Heidi Allen before and I do like the sound of her politics. It makes me wish the Tory Party would broaden their base: the same old names continue to pop up every time leadership and frontbench dicussion begins. Even Kemi Badenoch, the Party's only black female MP, has real life experience most Tory MPs don't, and MPs in general, don't have - she supported herself at 16, worked on the minimum wage, went to uni and became an engineer. There's diversity within the Party that Conservatives aren't supporting; and the next leadership election is an opportunity to change that, to change perception of the Tory Party, but I feel it's just going to be another wasted opportunity tbh.
    I definitely think they need to look not at their well known front benchers, but instead go to their backbench MPs and find someone from there. It could be just what they need to get their act together and make a proper break with the past.

The issue is that with the Conservative party, there are several rounds of voting where only their MPs are allowed to vote, and then 2 final candidates get voted on by the members.

Labour on the other hand have a completely democratic system where their members vote on all the candidates, with the MPs only nominating candidates, which is why Corbyn was able to become leader when a lot of the MPs really don't like him - if they had the same rules as the Conservatives he probably wouldn't have got past the first round of MPs voting.

So I have a feeling that a back bench MP standing for the Conservative leadership wouldn't have a chance because most of the other MPs would prefer one of the current front benchers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_jg)
    If Hillary Clinton can win youth support then I'm very confident that Priti Patel can. I think you're right that she'd need a major PR spin job, though.
    Right...

But Hillary lost to Bernie Sanders in the youth vote during the US primaries. She won the youth vote against Trump because he was much further to the right on her on social and political issues like environment, LGBT and Women's rights. The US youth had a choice between a person who eventually came round to same-sex marriage vs someone and a party who wants to get rid of it. How is someone like Priti Patel going to win over the youth vote from Labour and Jeremy or someone younger but with his similar views. Is my point? Tim Farron, who voted for same-sex marriage was crucified...

That's just my view and I hold my hands up, I'm a Labour party member. But I am trying to be objective here because I know what Labour strategist would do to someone with her political views to drain votes from her during a general election. We agree though, she'd need one hell of a PR team. If not army...

ReputationRep:
    Let May lead it for now to finish Cameron's job of tarnishing Tory's image for years to come completely so voters can bring a sensible govt. in the following elections.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.