Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm piling together any burning questions people have about starting and/or surviving A levels and wondered if anyone still has questions or advise they need.

I'm intending to make a full Youtube video with the answers, and will be made in about a week or two
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
    I'm piling together any burning questions people have about starting and/or surviving A levels and wondered if anyone still has questions or advise they need.

I'm intending to make a full Youtube video with the answers, and will be made in about a week or two
    Fantastic, I look forward to seeing the video.

Here's a few questions I have:
    1) A lot of people claim that the gap between GCSEs and A Levels is huge but what do you think about this.
    2) Revision tips for A Level - what is useful/not useful
    3) Best revision guides to use
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

:woo: This sounds really awesome! Having finished my A Levels already, I don't really have any questions. I do see a lot of people asking "can I improve from this grade to this grade in a year?" and "is 4 A Levels too much?". Not sure if that helps, but hopefully it gives you a bit of inspiration

ReputationRep:

This sounds like a great idea! Hopefully it may reduce the amount of people asking the same questions over and over and over again...

One question I've seen loads is "how much work should I be doing over the summer holidays?" Also, I'd personally like to know more about the general expectations outside of lesson, including how much work we should be doing and what sort of work it may be.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    These are all awesome suggestions so far; they're definitely giving me a lot to talk about!

Any other burning questions?

ReputationRep:
    What would you do differently if you had another shot at A Levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    is EPQ worth it? and what if you have no idea what to do for an EPQ? they're common questions

ReputationRep:
    How did you decide on your a levels (any advice you would give)? If you could know something before you started them, what would it be?

Edit:just thought of another question
    Would you advise choosing subjects you enjoy & not know your career path/any degrees, or subjects you enjoy, but not as much, and know a variety of degrees & careers you could do?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elite360)
    What would you do differently if you had another shot at A Levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would have worked harder in Year 12, because everything you do that year serves as evidence for your teacher to come up with a predicted grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltend)
    is EPQ worth it? and what if you have no idea what to do for an EPQ? they're common questions
    what even is a epq:cry:

ReputationRep:
    For your EPQ, does it have to be directly related to your preferred degree of study? Or is their room to broaden.

I.e: I'm going to do Aerospace Engineering, does my EPQ have to specifically be around Aerospace or the Industry, or can I do an EPQ with the prerequisite subjects (Maths, Physics based) in mind.

Which brings me on to my second question.
    If you have a sudden change of heart after your EPQ is done, for instance, if your degree plans, choice changes. For me, I'm heavily leaning between Aerospace and Computer Science, if I was to write an EPQ on Aerospace and then want to do CompSci, is it wasted? Or can I try and compensate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha_tah)
    what even is a epq:cry:
    From what I've been told, it's an Extended Project Qualification, the only thing I really know is that it's a report/dissertation based thing you write, centred around a topic relating to the degree you intend to study. And you present it/research/other stuff and get a grade at the end.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know if you can cope with four A-Levels? What grades would you say you need rougly at GCSE that would show that you are fully capable of doing four A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    From what I've been told, it's an Extended Project Qualification, the only thing I really know is that it's a report/dissertation based thing you write, centred around a topic relating to the degree you intend to study. And you present it/research/other stuff and get a grade at the end.
    like courseowrk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tasha_tah)
    like courseowrk?
    Kinda, but it constitutes a seperate grade, and you have to present it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    Kinda, but it constitutes a seperate grade, and you have to present it.
    makes more sense so thxx

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm French.I've come to spend my a-level here, I already have my baccalaureate, but in fact it's just to learn English.How are the courses? Controls ? Is a C good? I feel that the A-level is easier than in France, I would like to certify that. When are the final exams? How are they rated? Is it the professors or special juries? What is the difference between a-level AVQ and Exdexel or something?Thank you !
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The video is being recorded this week (most likely Tuesday) so this is the last chance to get your questions in!

I might do another video on sixth form advice in general, if anyone has anything they want to see there that doesn't quite relate to this one

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, at the sixth form I want to go to you have to get 8 A*s at gcse in order to take four a levels (based on their analysis of past students (obviously could be less but that's their opinion)

(Original post by s4b3rt00th)
    How do you know if you can cope with four A-Levels? What grades would you say you need rougly at GCSE that would show that you are fully capable of doing four A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    The video is being recorded this week (most likely Tuesday) so this is the last chance to get your questions in!

I might do another video on sixth form advice in general, if anyone has anything they want to see there that doesn't quite relate to this one
    I'm assuming you've already recorded it, do you have a link? (you can PM me if you prefer)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.