Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how to measure the brightness of a bulb Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been given a brilliant club final assignment on light sources and I have been asked how to measure the brightness of different light sources (LEDs, incandescent lights, CFLs etc) using steradians, luminance and flux which I am unsure about as I have only just finished my AS exams.
    Would appreciate any help and insight on my problem
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tika8)
    I have been given a brilliant club final assignment on light sources and I have been asked how to measure the brightness of different light sources (LEDs, incandescent lights, CFLs etc) using steradians, luminance and flux which I am unsure about as I have only just finished my AS exams.
    Would appreciate any help and insight on my problem
    Understand the definitions of Steradian and luminance. Hint, it relates the surface area on a portion of a sphere, to the radius squared of that sphere.

i.e. A = r2

Luminance is a reference measurement (based on 1 lumen being approximately equal to 1 candle power).

So you need to relate Steradians to Lumens by calibrating your measuring equipment against the light output of a standard candle at a given distance from the candle.

The transducer used (possibly a LDR or photocell) will have an active surface area and this must be used in the Steradian calculation using the candle as a reference.

Once calibrated, and you have defined the rule for measuring and calculating other light sources using your apparatus, you are free to conduct your measurements.

Don't forget to think about sources of error and how to eliminate or minimise them. Think about external light sources affecting measurements, stray light from the source, the spread of wavelengths output from both the candle and the different light sources and also the detectable wavelengths for the light sensor. Then make a reasoned estimation for the accuracy and error of your measurements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Understand the definitions of Steradian and luminance. Hint, it relates the surface area on a portion of a sphere, to the radius squared of that sphere.

i.e. A = r2

Luminance is a reference measurement (based on 1 lumen being approximately equal to 1 candle power).

So you need to relate Steradians to Lumens by calibrating your measuring equipment against the light output of a standard candle at a given distance from the candle.

The transducer used (possibly a LDR or photocell) will have an active surface area and this must be used in the Steradian calculation using the candle as a reference.

Once calibrated, and you have defined the rule for measuring and calculating other light sources using your apparatus, you are free to conduct your measurements.

Don't forget to think about sources of error and how to eliminate or minimise them. Think about external light sources affecting measurements, stray light from the source, the spread of wavelengths output from both the candle and the different light sources and also the detectable wavelengths for the light sensor. Then make a reasoned estimation for the accuracy and error of your measurements.
    Thank you friend, that is most helpful appreciate the response

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.