Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Private candidate confusion regarding AS reforms...? Watch

• Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by august11)
    No I wish haha! The unis I want don't need me to do practicals if I haven't been registered for them The practicals are around 1k for 12 of them, and I'd never pay that, so extortionate :P.
    Yeah true. Many universities still want a pass in science practicals. What university do you want to go to? Apparently for practicals for each science it costs £950!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Yeah true. Many universities still want a pass in science practicals. What university do you want to go to? Apparently for practicals for each science it costs £950!
    Exeter, Surrey or Swansea, but I'll probably get in a safe uni (doubting myself haha). But from memory I think 2 of them don't want practicals (Surrey don't for sure) because I haven't been put down for any so I don't need a pass endorsement Yeah it's around that, if you get get around it like I have you really shouldn't bother yourself with them, they don't even count to your grade ;/. Just email around
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Exeter, Surrey or Swansea, but I'll probably get in a safe uni (doubting myself haha). But from memory I think 2 of them don't want practicals (Surrey don't for sure) because I haven't been put down for any so I don't need a pass endorsement Yeah it's around that, if you get get around it like I have you really shouldn't bother yourself with them, they don't even count to your grade ;/. Just email around
    True. What course is this for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    True. What course is this for?
    Mechanical Engineering. I know there are better unis for this, but they'll probably be more competitive lol. Btw, checked my emails and Exeter do, although their email was vague lol.

I can confirm that we accept all nature of completed A Levels, with the exception of General Studies, therefore it does not matter the composite of the actual A Level, providing that you complete three full A Levels including the sunbject requirements, in this case a B in both Maths and another Science.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Mechanical Engineering. I know there are better unis for this, but they'll probably be more competitive lol. Btw, checked my emails and Exeter do, although their email was vague lol.

I can confirm that we accept all nature of completed A Levels, with the exception of General Studies, therefore it does not matter the composite of the actual A Level, providing that you complete three full A Levels including the sunbject requirements, in this case a B in both Maths and another Science.
    They got straight to the point. If you check the really top universities, they all need them. This centre that you've found, do they let you do any science practicals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Oh ok! So can you do AS and A2 separately? If A2 is 3 papers, then why do they even have AS?
    There is no "A2" in the new specifications. You have AS and you have full A level..
    There are 3 A level exams that test everything you have learned over the full, usually two year, maths A level course. You can optionally take an AS after the first year but you don't have to and the result you get won't count towards the final A level result. People might take the AS if they don't plan to take the full A level or are not sure if they might drop it. They may also take it if they or their school want them to take a public exam rather than an internal end of year progress test that gives them a verifiable, recognised qualification along with good revision and exam practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    They got straight to the point. If you check the really top universities, they all need them. This centre that you've found, do they let you do any science practicals?
    Screw the elitist unis haha. I've found quite a few that accept practicals, you know. They're not hard to find. If you tell me your city I might be able to give you an even cheaper location because I've looked around A LOT so I'll save you the time :P. Only issue for us is we don't know if they do exams in 2018 because they haven't been updated and won't until Sept. So emailing works lol.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    There is no "A2" in the new specifications. You have AS and you have full A level..
    There are 3 A level exams that test everything you have learned over the full, usually two year, maths A level course. You can optionally take an AS after the first year but you don't have to and the result you get won't count towards the final A level result. People might take the AS if they don't plan to take the full A level or are not sure if they might drop it. They may also take it if they or their school want them to take a public exam rather than an internal end of year progress test that gives them a verifiable, recognised qualification along with good revision and exam practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ok, thank you for telling me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Which unis are you applying to? Cambridge (or oxford) and shiz? haha
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Screw the elitist unis haha. I've found quite a few that accept practicals, you know. They're not hard to find. If you tell me your city I might be able to give you an even cheaper location because I've looked around A LOT so I'll save you the time :P. Only issue for us is we don't know if they do exams in 2018 because they haven't been updated and won't until Sept. So emailing works lol.
    I'm in Stamford, but I don't think there are any.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Which unis are you applying to? Cambridge (or oxford) and shiz? haha
    No lol, I was just a saying that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    No lol, I was just a saying that.
    So you're not a private candidate? Confused. I don't need to do practicals haha. If you are and you're not going to top Unis why do you want to do practicals?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So you're not a private candidate? Confused. I don't need to do practicals haha. If you are and you're not going to top Unis why do you want to do practicals?
    I might apply to them in the future. Unis like Warwick, Bristol and UEA require them yet they're not the best universities if you get what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    I might apply to them in the future. Unis like Warwick, Bristol and UEA require them yet they're not the best universities if you get what I mean.
    Yeah I remember them stating that. Are you sure they don't mean you only need them if you've been registered for them like Exeter and Surrey? You should totally ask if private candidates are immune because sometimes they give us exceptions.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I remember them stating that. Are you sure they don't mean you only need them if you've been registered for them like Exeter and Surrey? You should totally ask if private candidates are immune because sometimes they give us exceptions.
    Thanks, I'll ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Thanks, I'll ask.
    By the way, I wasn't ignoring your question about schools that do practicals. I just don't want to annoy people by having 100000 messages in this thread. Can't seem to inbox you though? ;o
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    By the way, I wasn't ignoring your question about schools that do practicals. I just don't want to annoy people by having 100000 messages in this thread. Can't seem to inbox you though? ;o
    It's fine, if you can't inbox me here then tell me in here please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    It's fine, if you can't inbox me here then tell me in here please.
    Okay so first question would be do you have a car? http://www.wsfc.ac.uk/options/option...nformation.pdf seems to be the cheapest I've found, but it's all the way in Worcester. I don't have a car so boohoo. Definitely ask them if they do practicals - they do email back as I emailed recently and they mention practical assessors in that pdf I linked lol. And also they are letting private candidates in 2018. The fee is 130 per series and 16.99 (whatever your exam board says your papers are) per exam :O. So cheap, the rest clearly rip us off it's disgusting.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Okay so first question would be do you have a car? http://www.wsfc.ac.uk/options/option...nformation.pdf seems to be the cheapest I've found, but it's all the way in Worcester. I don't have a car so boohoo. Definitely ask them if they do practicals - they do email back as I emailed recently and they mention practical assessors in that pdf I linked lol. And also they are letting private candidates in. The fee is 130 per series and 16.99 (whatever edexcel says your papers are) per exam :O. So cheap, the rest clearly rip us off it's disgusting.
    Thanks. I don't yet but a bus will do lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S2M)
    Thanks. I don't yet but a bus will do lol.
    You're much closer than I am, you'll probably pull it off. I'd have to pay about 500 quid by the time I'm done haha.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.