Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Alright, so I don't know why I didn't apply to any grammar schools in year 5. That aside, my family had applied me to comprehensives (not knowing how the system actually was), and for all of them, they wrote for the statement that it was close to home, right. They applied late? Or rather, at the same time as everyone who had a guaranteed place because their 30 other 'siblings' went there.
    So, what then happens is that I get into NONE of the ones I applied to, and the closest place which I did get a seat at was DOUBLE the distance, all because the comprehensives which I actually lived close to were quite literally a ROAD away from the radius stupidity. I appealed but that didn't work at all.
    Keep in mind which the school I went to was a grade 3 from Ofsted. (It's now a grade 2, and most of the schools near me have dropped from a grade 1 to a grade 4, so I guess that's somewhat good for me). It was massive, blah blah.
    As a sidenote of this school, I'll explain the distribution of ethnicities:
    40% Pakistani
    40% Romanian/Polish
    10% Arab
    7% Somalian
    3% Bangladeshi (Me!)
    I'm not trying to be racist myself here, but I would like to say that there was racism. There was a cultural connection going on between everyone, I don't know if that's relatable or anything but it made it difficult for me to blend in with the groups. The people at my school were mostly low-income, a lot of them were badly behaved (yes this is a secondary school but some of them were just terrible), again I'm not trying to be discriminative or anything but that's just how it was. Most of the extracurricular actvities were catered towards them, such as saturating everything with P.E, which I am horrendous at, so yeah I didn't get many opportunities to begin with. I am stronger at academics, everytime I say that makes me facepalm at how I ended up at this place!!!
    To start off with my class in Year 7, I didn't know ANYONE there, only like 5 people from my primary went there and none of them were in my class to begin with. But, everyone knew each other, so I found it very difficult fitting in.
    One attempt I made, and somehow, I literally don't understand the logic of this, but I managed to get bullied by the entire class. Oh, and the people there were just bad. Were they racist? Yes, but in a cringey way. They were ethnic minorities themselves, but they just happened to have saturated a majority of the school (in my primary most of my class were of the same ethnicity as me xD), but I remember in Year 7 I was being taken the bloody mickey out of for such an ironical and hypocritical reason, but yeah I just had to suck up all of that harassment which degraded my confidence so bad. I appealed again, saying that I was bullied and once and just as always, nothing happened.
    I changed classes and I really liked Year 8, but I also had a hard time fitting in because of what had happened the previous year, so I was back to the quiet, socially awkward person that I always have been. I made friends though, and Year 8 was generally a good year. Same with Year 9, but I guess in that year I started to decline in the effort that I put into lessons, which is why I couldn't do triple science. And guess what? In Year 10, they put me in a class WORSE than Year 7, full of the worst people. As soon as I saw as to how I was the 'cleverest person in that band', I realised that I had to go. Might I add that the reason why I wasn't too worried initally about doing Double Science, is because I had a 'friend' in that class, but that thing had conspired against me so bad that I can't talk about it anymore. (I'm fine now though )
    Just like in Year 7, I decided to excel in Science and I actually got an award recently . I'm supposed to be changing classes, as always, and going to move to the Triple Science class in Year 11.
    I have now realised why I need to succeed. It is a very arrogant reason, but I guess being in this crappy school has brought that to light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weeaboo256)
    Alright, so I don't know why I didn't apply to any grammar schools in year 5. That aside, my family had applied me to comprehensives (not knowing how the system actually was), and for all of them, they wrote for the statement that it was close to home, right. They applied late? Or rather, at the same time as everyone who had a guaranteed place because their 30 other 'siblings' went there.
    So, what then happens is that I get into NONE of the ones I applied to, and the closest place which I did get a seat at was DOUBLE the distance, all because the comprehensives which I actually lived close to were quite literally a ROAD away from the radius stupidity. I appealed but that didn't work at all.
    Keep in mind which the school I went to was a grade 3 from Ofsted. (It's now a grade 2, and most of the schools near me have dropped from a grade 1 to a grade 4, so I guess that's somewhat good for me). It was massive, blah blah.
    As a sidenote of this school, I'll explain the distribution of ethnicities:
    40% Pakistani
    40% Romanian/Polish
    10% Arab
    7% Somalian
    3% Bangladeshi (Me!)
    I'm not trying to be racist myself here, but I would like to say that there was racism. There was a cultural connection going on between everyone, I don't know if that's relatable or anything but it made it difficult for me to blend in with the groups. The people at my school were mostly low-income, a lot of them were badly behaved (yes this is a secondary school but some of them were just terrible), again I'm not trying to be discriminative or anything but that's just how it was. Most of the extracurricular actvities were catered towards them, such as saturating everything with P.E, which I am horrendous at, so yeah I didn't get many opportunities to begin with. I am stronger at academics, everytime I say that makes me facepalm at how I ended up at this place!!!
    To start off with my class in Year 7, I didn't know ANYONE there, only like 5 people from my primary went there and none of them were in my class to begin with. But, everyone knew each other, so I found it very difficult fitting in.
    One attempt I made, and somehow, I literally don't understand the logic of this, but I managed to get bullied by the entire class. Oh, and the people there were just bad. Were they racist? Yes, but in a cringey way. They were ethnic minorities themselves, but they just happened to have saturated a majority of the school (in my primary most of my class were of the same ethnicity as me xD), but I remember in Year 7 I was being taken the bloody mickey out of for such an ironical and hypocritical reason, but yeah I just had to suck up all of that harassment which degraded my confidence so bad. I appealed again, saying that I was bullied and once and just as always, nothing happened.
    I changed classes and I really liked Year 8, but I also had a hard time fitting in because of what had happened the previous year, so I was back to the quiet, socially awkward person that I always have been. I made friends though, and Year 8 was generally a good year. Same with Year 9, but I guess in that year I started to decline in the effort that I put into lessons, which is why I couldn't do triple science. And guess what? In Year 10, they put me in a class WORSE than Year 7, full of the worst people. As soon as I saw as to how I was the 'cleverest person in that band', I realised that I had to go. Might I add that the reason why I wasn't too worried initally about doing Double Science, is because I had a 'friend' in that class, but that thing had conspired against me so bad that I can't talk about it anymore. (I'm fine now though )
    Just like in Year 7, I decided to excel in Science and I actually got an award recently . I'm supposed to be changing classes, as always, and going to move to the Triple Science class in Year 11.
    I have now realised why I need to succeed. It is a very arrogant reason, but I guess being in this crappy school has brought that to light.
    Stop whining. You are not going to have everything your way in life, you are going to have to do things you do not want to do, so get used to it. Everyone you meet is not always going to be exactly like you, everyone is different. I went to a bang average comprehensive school - I do not come from a well-off family, but you just get on with it and try your best in all aspects. When you go into a job there are going to be people you do not like and some people will not like you, that is a fact. To be honest, you probably needed to go this school to give you a slap of reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    I go to a private school for these reasons; I don't want to be sitting in a classroom full of scum.
    You probably are the scum if you are going round calling people that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Stop whining. You are not going to have everything your way in life, you are going to have to do things you do not want to do, so get used to it. Everyone you meet is not always going to be exactly like you, everyone is different. I went to a bang average comprehensive school - I do not come from a well-off family, but you just get on with it and try your best in all aspects. When you go into a job there are going to be people you do not like and some people will not like you, that is a fact. To be honest, you probably needed to go this school to give you a slap of reality.
    Maybe that's what I meant? lmao

ReputationRep:
    You probably are the scum if you are going round calling people that.
    I don't know how people would interpret the 'meaning' of scum...
    Scum would be used to describe the worst people?
    Bullies who don't care about anything but making your life a living hell?
    I would describe that as scum.
    That is what a comprehensive set 2 class consists of.
    Face it. This education system is terrible. Those scum do not get pushed at all, which could be a result of the teachers, but in a comprehensive you do not get pushed. You have to push yourself. In a comprehensive, most of the people, the scum to be specific, do not push themselves but focus on having good banter and getting into drama. They are rude, they disrupt others. Why wouldn't they be scum? Because there are worse people? Of course there are, but they are worse enough to be called scum. If people maliciously gang up on me for illogical reasons, they're scum. If someone tries to get the whole school to hate me, in such a way that makes me want to, not even that, DRIVES ME TO THE EDGE of commiting suicide, they're scum. YES, society has good and bad people. But are the 'bad people' who intentionally fail their GCSEs and ending up with a criminal record really worth caring for? There is nothing good about them, unless you want to be some sort of a 'rebel' for these few years then go ahead and embrace their existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weeaboo256)
    I don't know how people would interpret the 'meaning' of scum...
    Scum would be used to describe the worst people?
    Bullies who don't care about anything but making your life a living hell?
    I would describe that as scum.
    That is what a comprehensive set 2 class consists of.
    Face it. This education system is terrible. Those scum do not get pushed at all, which could be a result of the teachers, but in a comprehensive you do not get pushed. You have to push yourself. In a comprehensive, most of the people, the scum to be specific, do not push themselves but focus on having good banter and getting into drama. They are rude, they disrupt others. Why wouldn't they be scum? Because there are worse people? Of course there are, but they are worse enough to be called scum. If people maliciously gang up on me for illogical reasons, they're scum. If someone tries to get the whole school to hate me, in such a way that makes me want to, not even that, DRIVES ME TO THE EDGE of commiting suicide, they're scum. YES, society has good and bad people. But are the 'bad people' who intentionally fail their GCSEs and ending up with a criminal record really worth caring for? There is nothing good about them, unless you want to be some sort of a 'rebel' for these few years then go ahead and embrace their existence.
    They are just 13/14 year old kids ffs. They are just not lucky enough to have an environment (like you) where they realise the value of an education. Some of the people you call "scum" were my best friends during school and still are. Sure, they didn't care about traditional academic work, but they had other interests and are doing well for themselves. Just because someone does not want to pursue an academic education or want to go to university does not mean they are scum. They merely have other interests and pursue those instead, which is why they don't push themselves in school because it just isn't relevant to what they're interested in. So, no, they are not the worst people as you call them. I really feel sorry for you, but you are young and as you grow older you will learn that type of attitude is just not acceptable and is disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    They are just 13/14 year old kids ffs. They are just not lucky enough to have an environment (like you) where they realise the value of an education. Some of the people you call "scum" were my best friends during school and still are. Sure, they didn't care about traditional academic work, but they had other interests and are doing well for themselves. Just because someone does not want to pursue an academic education or want to go to university does mean they are scum. They merely have other interests and pursue those instead, which is why they don't push themselves in school. So, no, they are not the worst people as you call them.
    No, I don't mean by the fact that they don't have academic interests. It's how they take their time to disturb others who do. I'm trying to concentrate in lesson, but they keep talking, to the point where I literally can't comprehend what the teacher is even saying. It's because of these people that Year 10 felt like such a waste for me. The teacher could only set work to the extent at which people would do, which was 10% of my own work. It may just be that they find the subject difficult, or don't find it important for themselves, fair enough, but there are people who blatantly try their best to irritate me and hold me back from what I want to do. I'm going to admit that I am a selfish and insensitive brat. After what I've been through, I hold no sympathy for these people or letting them plagiarise my work, which is another thing that annoys me so much.
    This '14 year old kid' had annoyed me so much to the point where I said one thing to him (which he literally was forcing me to say), and because of that he decided to get the whole school to hold a grudge on me, and called people to attack me everytime I went outside. I tried complaining to the teachers, but it was too late and he had got them to hold a grudge on me (he was actually being unbiased, he didn't speak about anything he did to me, rather every single little thing that I did to him), which made the teachers hold a grudge against me, and then even after that he was calling people to attack me. I seriously wanted to die at that time, it was only when I realised that they weren't worth it that I stopped caring for the scumbag whom I thought was a 'friend'. And that was just one of them. I cannot explain in words how bad my hatred is for some of these organisms.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.