Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if any one can help me out

I went into a supermarket with my pregnant girlfriend went to buy some alcohol but they refused because my girlfriend didn't have any id which was fair enough.
    So I took my girlfriend home and returned about 40 minutes later to then buy the alcohol they then again refused because I was in there earlier but at this point I was on my own and they then tried to say I could be buying it for her to take home and give it to her saying she was underage
    Can the store do this ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curwen8)

I went into a supermarket with my pregnant girlfriend went to buy some alcohol but they refused because my girlfriend didn't have any id which was fair enough.
    So I took my girlfriend home and returned about 40 minutes later to then buy the alcohol they then again refused because I was in there earlier but at this point I was on my own and they then tried to say I could be buying it for her to take home and give it to her saying she was underage
    Can the store do this ??
    Yes, the store has the right to withhold selling alcohol if they believe the buyer will give it to someone underage. If the store is caught doing this, then it can be fined thousands of pounds, so it is not in their interest, and employees can lose their jobs over it too.

ReputationRep:

Can the store do this ??
    Yes, there is nothing compelling them to serve you. Go to a different shop.

ReputationRep:
    0/10.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you not try a different shop?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Can the store do this ??
    Yes.

If you look under 25 they are entitled to insist on ID. And if they suspect you are buying for a minor then they can also refuse. Your gf didn't show ID to establish she isn't a minor.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol...uying-alcohol/

ReputationRep:
    You should of gone back again with her id as well just to show them up .
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am a Stick)
    Although why a pregnant woman wants alcohol is a whole different problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    I assumed the alcohol was just for the boyfriend and the supermarket just refused to sell them alcohol because he was with someone who looked underage. If it was for the girlfriend then yeah, there is a problem.

Edit: Then again there are some people that think that a small amount of alcohol isn't a problem and is even beneficial because it reduces stress. I don't know if it is true or not. If the drink was for her then I don't really know enough about what stage of pregnancy and how much she was going to have to have a good opinion on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    The alcohol wasn't for her it was for me she hasn't touched a drop off alcohol since we found out she was

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am a Stick)
    She didn't want to come back she was tired otherwise would off
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The alcohol wasn't for her it was for me she hasn't touched a drop off alcohol since we found out she was
    Ok that's cool. Go to a different shop...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    Why did you not try a different shop?
    The alcohol I wanted was on sale in that shop which was cheaper than anywhere else

ReputationRep:
    She didn't want to come back she was tired otherwise would off
    Since the shop remembered her, you could of brought her ID without her coming if she's ok with it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The alcohol I wanted was on sale in that shop which was cheaper than anywhere else
    How much did it cost to travel home, and then return to the same shop and return empty-handed? Versus the cost of going to a different shop...

Anyway, the bottomline line is yes the shop can serve who it wants and certainly for alcohol was correct in its decision making.

And you may find you'll have problems buying from there in the future unless you return with your gf and her ID.

So for the meantime you will need to use a different shop anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Best use the European court of human rights while you still can.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.