Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

No friends at uni still! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've been at uni a whole year now, starting 2nd year in September and I've yet to make a single friend. I have people who I get on with on my course luckily but outside of that, they are just not my cup of tea. I've tried joining clubs I'm interested in such as tennis, gaming and netball. Both tennis and netball I wasn't good enough to join and gaming was non existent (no one ever met up) as the year went on, I was trying to be really open minded and get involved but I always found myself in the corner or being ignored! I had to walk for over an hour to get home from a flat party... but yeah, I'm kind of deflated and scared that I'm going to waste uni being alone! I don't want 2nd year to be the same so just looking for advice, similar experiences?! Just anything!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calil)
    So I've been at uni a whole year now, starting 2nd year in September and I've yet to make a single friend. I have people who I get on with on my course luckily but outside of that, they are just not my cup of tea. I've tried joining clubs I'm interested in such as tennis, gaming and netball. Both tennis and netball I wasn't good enough to join and gaming was non existent (no one ever met up) as the year went on, I was trying to be really open minded and get involved but I always found myself in the corner or being ignored! I had to walk for over an hour to get home from a flat party... but yeah, I'm kind of deflated and scared that I'm going to waste uni being alone! I don't want 2nd year to be the same so just looking for advice, similar experiences?! Just anything!!
    Have you got any flatmates for second year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Have you got any flatmates for second year?

Good question! I should've mentioned that! So last year it was just me and my boyfriend living in a many old flat as I was a very late starter and that's the best I could get (so no friends there) and this year I am living with 4 other people, 3 girls and a boy! The boy seems nice, really quiet and the 2 girls I've met so far have been horrendously rude.. 3 sets of parents said how *****y they seemed.. But I will try my best with them but it's not looking great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calil)
    Good question! I should've mentioned that! So last year it was just me and my boyfriend living in a many old flat as I was a very late starter and that's the best I could get (so no friends there) and this year I am living with 4 other people, 3 girls and a boy! The boy seems nice, really quiet and the 2 girls I've met so far have been horrendously rude.. 3 sets of parents said how *****y they seemed.. But I will try my best with them but it's not looking great!
    Hmm, I was going to say the flat mates would be a great place to start, you could all cook together, watch films, go on nights out together, etc.. but maybe not after your description of them.. but still try with them, maybe they are just a little apprehensive and given a chance they might surprise you! All I can say is, just go to as many social things as possible, you are bound to meet someone you click with. As soon as you give up, then you will have zero chance of making any meaningful friendships.

ReputationRep:
    Im deffo going to give them a chance, it wouldnt be fair otherwise and i would just be shooting myself in the foot! Most don't move in until September which sucks but they're my last resort and Im so worried it won't work out! All the girls know eachother which isnt great as I'm the odd one out I will go to as many other social things etc but Im just scared that because Im in 2nd year, all friends will have already been made!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calil)
    Im deffo going to give them a chance, it wouldnt be fair otherwise and i would just be shooting myself in the foot! Most don't move in until September which sucks but they're my last resort and Im so worried it won't work out! All the girls know eachother which isnt great as I'm the odd one out I will go to as many other social things etc but Im just scared that because Im in 2nd year, all friends will have already been made!!
    Don't worry about it being second year! Friends carry on being made right up until the end of university! You just have to be relaxed and open to everyone that you meet and people will soon gravitate toward you when you chill and up for a good time, whatever it is! Just keep a smile on your face

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calil)
    i am sorry but theres no way you can make friends

drop out of uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Don't worry about it being second year! Friends carry on being made right up until the end of university! You just have to be relaxed and open to everyone that you meet and people will soon gravitate toward you when you chill and up for a good time, whatever it is! Just keep a smile on your face
    Thank you so much for your wonderful and speedy replies, youve been a great help <3

ReputationRep:
    That's terrible advice. You can maybe try talking to more people in your course. Maybe look at other societies. It will be tough but also make sure you keep in touch with old friends
    (Original post by study beats)
    i am sorry but theres no way you can make friends

drop out of uni

ReputationRep:
    And just to say you don't have to limit yourself to the university social scene, students are allowed to take part in the outside world as well. Amateur dramatics, Morris dancing, church, volunteer groups...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calil)
    That's the problem, most people stick rigidly to their flatmates.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calil)
    Hey!

You'll definitely be able to make more friends in your second year of uni - don't listen to the negative poster above! In my first year, I made a few friends, but had nobody I was really close with and I felt quite isolated because my flatmates (my only friends) were a lot closer to each other than to me so I found it more and more difficult to stay involved with them. However, in second year I joined two societies which changed my university experience altogether! I was really scared to join, and I was tempted to not turn up after I'd signed up in Freshers' week because I didn't know anyone, but I ended up making some really close, really nice friends. The good thing about societies is that you already know you have at least one interest in common so you have a great starting point!

It's a shame that you found that the gaming society wasn't very active. Are there any others you're interested in? You could even try something new! New societies get set up all the time, so hopefully either way there will be something you find exciting. You could also look into starting your own society if there's anything you want to get into!

As for tennis and netball, aren't there any social sports that you can get involved with, without competing on the team? There should be some, but if not why don't you look for sports clubs in the city itself that you could join? It'd give you something fun to do while you meet a variety of people!

It's good that you're going to be moving in with new people, too. Don't worry about the girls already knowing each other or seeming rude - you don't know them yet so hopefully they'll be much nicer when you do. You've got the guys there too, so you could do things like movie nights, nights out, or days out (shopping, meals, etc.) with them.

Keep trying and good luck with second year!

Ellie
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calil)
    Hey,

Just to start ... which Uni do you go to?

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't made many friends so far - but try not to let this dishearten you about your second year. Try to throw yourself into new situations - you said that the societies you joined last year didn't work for you - so go join some more! Living in shared accommodation with other students will probably really boost the social side of your life, so try not to worry if you don't get on with your flat mates as you can always make friends with your neighbours etc.

Also - if you get on well with your course mates, there is no harm in inviting them to do something outside of Uni - so maybe try this too.

Hope this helps and good luck

Anna

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.