Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

So the 13th Doctor was revealed as..... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    I'm never watching Doctor Who again, typical BBC pandering to the feminists and equality parade. The Doctor has always been a man, that's how the character is written and that's how the dynamic works. I'm sure ratings will plummet and they'll only have themselves to blame.
    I agree with you. I think there will be some plot holes, or change of mood now that the doctor is a female.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Political correctness gone mad - it's not sexism, it's tradition (a whopping 54 years of it!).

Gravely disappointed. Nail in the coffin.
    Did you feel the same when they changed the master? And had a gay companion out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    I hope we get 12 female doctors in a row.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
    I've yet to see a good argument against a woman doctor, everything so far has been either "The show should never change" or "Women can't act the same". Either way, absolute *******s.

I've never seen Jodie Whittaker before so I'm excited to see her as the new incarnation. The tardis key trick is intriguing too!
    It'll just be weird.

ReputationRep:
    To everyone who doesn't like that the Doctor is now female, here's a bizarre thought:

What if, and bear with me here I know it's a crazy idea, changing the gender of the role had nothing to do with pandering?! Just consider that for a moment before you cry "social justice malarcky" or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    It'll just be weird.
    People are uncomfortable with change, that#s natural, but people need to give her a shot before crucifying her.
    • Welcome Squad

I'm never watching Doctor Who again, typical BBC pandering to the feminists and the equality parade. The Doctor has always been a man, that's how the character is written and that's how the dynamic works. I'm sure ratings and views will plummet and they'll only have themselves to blame.
    tbf doctor who hasn't been good for ages, moffat has been limping on with it and monopolising it for ages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LlamaLikeEllie)
    I agree with you. I think there will be some plot holes, or change of mood now that the doctor is a female.
    Plot holes because the Doctor is female? How on Earth did you make that jump?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Did you feel the same when they changed the master? And had a gay companion out of interest?
    My interest in the show quickly depleted over the past couple of seasons; it's become an absolute travesty.

I wasn't overly bothered by Missy, mostly because my love for John Simm is ever undying - the gay companion thing I have no qualms with.

It's too big of a change in my eyes, because it's not just changing the actor being cast, it's changing the entire dynamic of the show beyond the usual iterations. Whilst I'm prepared to give it a go, I don't see it lasting for me personally. I'll stick to pre 2015 re-watching.

ReputationRep:
    I abandoned ship after David Tennant finished ngl..

ReputationRep:
    The Doctor and River Song would now be bisexual, as they were married. This is never referenced to date; since River travels through his timeline she should know about this.

ReputationRep:
    People are uncomfortable with change, that#s natural, but people need to give her a shot before crucifying her.
    Yeah exactly, for all we know she could be the best doctor. Personally it's not about whether the Doctor is female or male it's about how they act and I think she's going to be pretty good acting as a Doctor. (The jacket she wore was super cool).😄😆. Overall it's bound to happen anywa.... I'm just glad they chose someone who has a good acting background.

ReputationRep:
    While I am suspicious of the motivations behind this decision, and I fear a Mary Sue type makeover of a fundamentally flawed character, I don't really see how maleness is essential to the doctor, consistent as it has been. Loads of people have made the James Bond comparison, but that's totally facile. James Bond is human, for one, and his womanizing is a key aspect. Plus his personality doesn't change all that much, whereas some Doctors are wildly, wildly different. While Missy annoyed me to an extent, largely due to the script rather than any problem with Gomez, it really didn't feel "wrong" to me, and neither does this. I say just give it a chance, see what it's like. I don't know much about her other than she was in Broadchurch and is experienced and she's supposedly pretty good.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The Doctor and River Song would now be bisexual, as they were married. This is never referenced to date; since River travels through his timeline she should know about this.
    But the BBC make it, so River was probably pansexual anyway and secretly identified as a unicorn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes they refer or make certain points, which only really fit if the doctor is male. It won't be the same at all.

ReputationRep:
    All of these people who are complaining that it is not a male need to relax and give it a chance.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    My interest in the show quickly depleted over the past couple of seasons; it's become an absolute travesty.

I wasn't overly bothered by Missy, mostly because my love for John Simm is ever undying - the gay companion thing I have no qualms with.

It's too big of a change in my eyes, because it's not just changing the actor being cast, it's changing the entire dynamic of the show beyond the usual iterations. Whilst I'm prepared to give it a go, I don't see it lasting for me personally. I'll stick to pre 2015 re-watching.
    I think it's difficult to objectively say it's gotten better or worse overall for me, as it started when I was 10, I m now 22 so I ve a very different world view per say. I think like you say, people should at least give it a go before deciding it won't work at all, rather than being closer minded about an alien character being a woman.

ReputationRep:
    Because it would be spoilers to the characters, a big one. Maybe River never even saw the female version?
    (Original post by LlamaLikeEllie)
    Sometimes they refer or make certain points, which only really fit if the doctor is male. It won't be the same at all.
    The references must be from when the Doctor met those people as a man, or the people referencing the Doctor use pronouns for his current gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Can't wait to see the shitstorm by people who have nothing better to complain about.
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The BBC social justice agenda strikes again.
    I like who these two were straight one after another

ReputationRep:
    I can see why some may be annoyed or bewildered:
    • The Doctor was written in a way to be depicted as a male, the writers wrote the character, themes, etc, under the assumption that the actor, the Doctor, was portrayed as a male character, it's not a matter of hating females or feminists, and I can't say what exactly spurred the change, it's just an abrupt and random change from the norm. It's the equivalent of SpongeBob changing from a Sponge to a Rock and expecting the same kind of Sponge Jokes, Puns to apply. This is a really really bad analogy, I know, but what I'm saying is that it's a change that kind of disrupts the balance, as it was not a gradual change, I think a better idea would've been for one of the companions to have gotten close and essentially 'taken the baton', as opposed to casting a completely random female, but that's just my thoughts.

However having said that, I cannot immediately judge her character yet, I think first I will watch the season to see if she is able to make the change work, then I can go to an immediate conclusion. I am not judging the actual actor, moreover the Directors and Producers who did this change, for all I know, she could actually do a really good job.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.