Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

So the 13th Doctor was revealed as..... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
    Because it would be spoilers to the characters, a big one. Maybe River never even saw the female version?
    There's no way River couldn't have seen the female one as their timelines are in reverse, she died in the David Tennant series and so would have known everything at that point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    There's no way River couldn't have seen the female one as their timelines are in reverse, she died in the David Tennant series and so would have known everything at that point.
    They both go on adventures all the time, why is it so hard to think River missed one of the incarnations? Regardless, she wouldn't want to reveal any spoilers about the Doctor's future.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    They both go on adventures all the time, why is it so hard to think River missed one of the incarnations? Regardless, she wouldn't want to reveal any spoilers about the Doctor's future.
    Spoilers are an irrelevant point to the argument being made given it's about sexual preferences.

If I am rewatching a film with somebody who has never seen it before, does the fact that I don't give spoilers to them mean I do not know how it finishes? Further does it mean that I cannot have an opinion on the film that factors in events that happen later than the point at which I am at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Did you feel the same when they changed the master? And had a gay companion out of interest?
    claireestelle

I don't give two hoots about sexuality
    But missy did not work
    It was forced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Spoilers are an irrelevant point to the argument being made given it's about sexual preferences.

If I am rewatching a film with somebody who has never seen it before, does the fact that I don't give spoilers to them mean I do not know how it finishes? Further does it mean that I cannot have an opinion on the film that factors in events that happen later than the point at which I am at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think it was about sexual preferences, but it doesn't change much anyway. She could be bisexual.
    As for spoilers, the point I was trying to make was that River never mentioning a female incarnation is irrelevant, as she wouldn't want to give spoilers to her husband.

ReputationRep:
    I legit think some people think Dr. Who is real or something... jesus christ grow up. It's a woman actor. Waaaaa. Big deal. Whiney little snowflakes.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot more people would be receptive if the female actor was one who was known in sci-fi circles and liked, and from what I understand is with the new doctor this isn't the case. I think people view this as "she was chosen because she was a woman" and not one of "she was chosen because she would make a good doctor and is liked by sci-fi fans". I may be wrong but I think people dislike the doctor not out of a hatred for a female doctor (though it doesn't help that people have come to know the doctor as a male), but they dislike the choice itself and don't think it was a natural one and they believe the choice pushes an agenda. That's my opinion on it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Spoilers are an irrelevant point to the argument being made given it's about sexual preferences. If I am rewatching a film with somebody who has never seen it before, does the fact that I don't give spoilers to them mean I do not know how it finishes? Further does it mean that I cannot have an opinion on the film that factors in events that happen later than the point at which I am at?
    I don't think it was about sexual preferences, but it doesn't change much anyway. She could be bisexual.
    As for spoilers, the point I was trying to make was that River never mentioning a female incarnation is irrelevant, as she wouldn't want to give spoilers to her husband.
    If there was a female incarnation, you'd think it would have been mentioned at least once since 1963 when the show started. This is incredibly forced and badly done, just to please the political correctness gang.

ReputationRep:
    I really liked Missy. And River for that matter.

Not sure how to feel about this though. I hated Bill with an absolute passion, just hope this new doctor isn't another Mary Sue.

I'll give her a fair shot though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    claireestelle

I don't give two hoots about sexuality
    But missy did not work
    It was forced
    I think because I wasn't surprised who missy was by the time she was officially mentioned as the master that I didn't feel it was as forced. Both incarnations killing each other on the other hand was pretty forced.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine this being the tipping point for some people when Doctor Who has been a bit shite for some years now. Personally I think this has good potential.

ReputationRep:
    Stopped watching it ever since Tennant left.
    • Very Important Poster

Surprised have to wait and see. I expected them to go for a male but with an ethnic background. Will have to see if they can act their way out of it plus scripts rather than it being a distraction. If they dont do a ood job then it could be pretty damaging.

ReputationRep:
    If there was a female incarnation, you'd think it would have been mentioned at least once since 1963 when the show started. This is incredibly forced and badly done, just to please the political correctness gang.
    At the time they clearly didn't plan for a female incarnation. Should the new writers be forced to stick to the creations of their predecessors? Unless it was explicitly stated that the Doctor can't be female, I see no problem with it. As for it being forced, how exactly? This is the third case of a timelord regenerating into a woman (that I know of). Sure, they weren't the Doctor, but still timelords nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    Will reserve judgement until I've seen it :P

ReputationRep:
    She didn't even know about the Capaldi doctor until she physically met him and only met three incarnations of the Doctor in total. Really easy to think there were more incarnations she didn't know about.

(Original post by Soopakoopatroopa)
    I really liked Missy. And River for that matter.

Not sure how to feel about this though. I hated Bill with an absolute passion, just hope this new doctor isn't another Mary Sue.

I'll give her a fair shot though.
    Which characters do you think were Mary Sue's? Not saying you're wrong I'm just curious. That was always my problem with Clara.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't River Song mention having a wife in a Christmas episode though? I seem to remember that.

I'm quite bitterly disappointed. The Doctor will always be a male to me, I'll just going to have to pretend he's thrown on lady parts just to try it out, but he's still male underneath it all. The way I feel towards the Doctor is quite specific to him being a man older than me who I look up to, admire and half-fancy.

ReputationRep:
    Love how they made her back and hand look like a man, i was genuinely shocked when she took her hood off

ReputationRep:
    Next time lets make Wonder Woman - Wonder Man and let's see the reaction to that. Of course it'd be flipped. Those supporting = sexist and those against = 100% pure little angels.

The whole argument isn't about gender, it's about preserving the character. Each doctor has had his own personality but the fact remains that each doctor has been a man. It's just how it is. The same way a female character shouldn't be made male, a male character shouldn't be made female. You'd never see this happen the other way round and we all know why, because that'd be "sexist" but for some reason this isn't. One of the most popular female leads turned into a man? Yeah right, people would go mental about how they're getting rid of female characters and all that. The same way they did with the supposed "whitewashing" of Ghost in a Shell and other movies. Difference is though there are valid reasons against not changing the gender of a character compared to the absolutely idiotic Ghost in a Shell controversy.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.