Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

So the 13th Doctor was revealed as..... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I said it would to be someone entirely insignificant to me in another thread. I'm just too good at this sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I love how no one questions the absurdity of a regenerating timelord. Yet when you give that timelord a vagina, people take to their keyboards in anger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uw0tm9)
    Next time lets make Wonder Woman - Wonder Man and let's see the reaction to that. Of course it'd be flipped. Those supporting = sexist and those against = 100% pure little angels.

The whole argument isn't about gender, it's about preserving the character. Each doctor has had his own personality but the fact remains that each doctor has been a man. It's just how it is. The same way a female character shouldn't be made male, a male character shouldn't be made female. You'd never see this happen the other way round and we all know why, because that'd be "sexist" but for some reason this isn't. One of the most popular female leads turned into a man? Yeah right, people would go mental about how they're getting rid of female characters and all that. The same way they did with the supposed "whitewashing" of Ghost in a Shell and other movies. Difference is though there are valid reasons against not changing the gender of a character compared to the absolutely idiotic Ghost in a Shell controversy.
    Except Wonder Woman isn't a time travelling alien who when mortally injured has their DNA completely re-written and re-emerges as a totally different person.

"It's just how it is" is a shite argument for anything.

Are you seriously going to claim this is sexist against men that one out of thirteen (technically more if you count John Hurt and the several actors that have played William Hartnells Doctor) people to play the Doctor is a woman? Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    I think I read somewhere that for a timelord to change sex they have to commit suicide and then they will revert back to the original sex at the next regeneration. Which could be a spoiler for the Christmas special although the doctor did kind of commit suicide when he blow himself up to kill the cybermen.

Realistically, the BBC needed to do something drastic as the viewing numbers were going down. I'm not sure how this will turn out for them though.

Although, I really liked Death in Paradise and was a bit miffed when Kris Marshall left so was kind of hoping he would be the next doctor but never mind. I do remember Jodie in Broadchurch only by recognising her face and I thought she was a bit bland in it to be honest and her attempted West Country accent was so dodgy an unrealistic. She'll probably be able to be herself a bit more in Doctor Who though. Will watch it though and see how she does.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    absolutely no idea who she is - heard of broadchurch but never watched, are we talking proper sci-fi actress, generic "drama" or what?
    If you call attack the block sci-fi then yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Except Wonder Woman isn't a time travelling alien who when mortally injured has their DNA completely re-written and re-emerges as a totally different person.

"It's just how it is" is a shite argument for anything.

Are you seriously going to claim this is sexist against men that one out of thirteen (technically more if you count John Hurt and the several actors that have played William Hartnells Doctor) people to play the Doctor is a woman? Grow up.
    I didn't say it's sexist against men mate but you'll read what you want to so never mind. Don't bring the 1/13 argument because that just shows that the character is supposed to be male even if it's never outright said out loud. The alien argument is also bulls**t because we know some traits of the character as preserved after he regenerates and so far being a man is one of them.

The fact remains that the character wasn't changed to a woman because the story needed it to be. It's because they're trying to score brownie points and trying make themselves look super progressive and the whole "yeah, go women in media" thing which is very fake and disingenuous. I'm all for female characters but if you want a female character, write a new story and make a new show. Simply changing male character to female is p**sing on people's intelligence and taking a massive dump on the fans.

There's been a trend in recent years of just flicking a switch and changing male characters to female which is bs. Like I said, if you want female characters then write quite stories for them and I'm sure no one has anything against original female characters e.g. wonder woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uw0tm9)
    I didn't say it's sexist against men mate but you'll read what you want to so never mind. Don't bring the 1/13 argument because that just shows that the character is supposed to be male even if it's never outright said out loud. The alien argument is also bulls**t because we know some traits of the character as preserved after he regenerates and so far being a man is one of them.

The fact remains that the character wasn't changed to a woman because the story needed it to be. It's because they're trying to score brownie points and trying make themselves look super progressive and the whole "yeah, go women in media" thing which is very fake and disingenuous. I'm all for female characters but if you want a female character, write a new story and make a new show. Simply changing male character to female is p**sing on people's intelligence and taking a massive dump on the fans.

There's been a trend in recent years of just flicking a switch and changing male characters to female which is bs. Like I said, if you want female characters then write quite stories for them and I'm sure no one has anything against original female characters e.g. wonder woman.
    Well who exactly is casting a woman in a role that has been previously played by men sexist against then? It certainly isn't women. Claiming something is sexist because a woman's gotten a job has clear implications as to who you think its sexist against.

Except we've seen or heard of multiple time lords changing gender as a result of regeneration. So the fact he's been male most of the time is irrelevent.

Except you don't know the story the female doctor is going to be in, it might be necessary for the story, or just maybe the writers wanted to explore new things, allow the character a new perspective. Also Doctor Who stories generally don't cross regenerations, so the fact that Capaldi's Doctor didn't need to be a woman irrelevent regardless of who they'd cast. If they'd made a new show you'd get the same *****y cry-babies whining they're only doing to be PC.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    People like saying she's 13th, but considering having played the role there are at least 13 already, and that's excluding those stepping in because the original actor is dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    R.I.P. Doctor Who.

Next female James Bond.

ReputationRep:
    No. I won't be able to watch doctor who with a female doctor, I'm sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleB)
    No. I won't be able to watch doctor who with a female doctor, I'm sorry.
    That might be a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe you're all getting so angry over a TV show which was never good in the first place lmaooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlchemistress)
    That might be a lot of people.
    Exactly. BBC need to get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    She was good in Black Mirror and (I guess) Attack the Block, haven't seen Broadchurch though. As I said in the other thread, I only hope they made the change because they have plot ideas for a female Doctor that they couldn't with a male Doctor (which would be ironic if people are pleased about breaking gender roles), rather than pandering to 'inclusivity' at the expense of the show and fans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Well who exactly is casting a woman in a role that has been previously played by men sexist against then? It certainly isn't women. Claiming something is sexist because a woman's gotten a job has clear implications as to who you think its sexist against.

Except we've seen or heard of multiple time lords changing gender as a result of regeneration. So the fact he's been male most of the time is irrelevent.

Except you don't know the story the female doctor is going to be in, it might be necessary for the story, or just maybe the writers wanted to explore new things, allow the character a new perspective. Also Doctor Who stories generally don't cross regenerations, so the fact that Capaldi's Doctor didn't need to be a woman irrelevent regardless of who they'd cast. If they'd made a new show you'd get the same *****y cry-babies whining they're only doing to be PC.
    But I didn't claim it's sexist in the first place so again, read what I said.

No it isn't, if after 11 regeneration he's a man and then suddenly turns into a woman than that makes no sense.

We all know it isn't necessary. Don't fool yourself. Oh and they did make a new show. It was called Sarah Jane's Adventures (if I remember that right) and I loved it as a kid and so did many other people so again, you're just assuming stuff about me.

ReputationRep:
    I can sympathise with people who just can't see it as the same with a female doctor, just because that she's a female

The Doctor used to be a bit of a role model for me as a child, I can't imagine my little brother having the same relationship with the show

Anyway, this is how I would sum it up:

ReputationRep:
    idc because who even bothers to watch Dr Who any more.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Jodie Whittaker!

I'm really excited to see them make their debut, how do you all feel about this announcement?

Feminism is dead.

Always look on the bright side: Now guy's can fantasise about getting a BJ from the Doctor instead of just the assistant.

Way to go.

ReputationRep:
    Typical BBC pandering.

It's like men aren't allowed to maintain history any more despite a character always being that.

One of the characters was literally called 'The Master' and they made it a woman to make people feel better rather than just create a new, decent, female character that people could enjoy without having to appropriate male characters.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Well I was expecting Olivia Coleman, so Jodie Whitaker is a similar choice in that Chris Chibnall knows her well. And working alongside Tenant would have given her some behind the scenes insights.

It will be very interesting to see if she can deliver the big personality that a succesfull Dr Who needs.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.