Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

So the 13th Doctor was revealed as..... Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Anyone else find it a little sad how they said "We always intended for the 13th Doctor to be female" and the new Doctor is a self proclaimed feminist?

Not entirely against it but it sounds as though there was some EXTREME gender bias in this decision, almost as though men were excluded from the decision purely because they are men...
    Do you have a citation for that, if so I wonder if the "best for the role" crowd have anything to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Do you have a citation for that, if so I wonder if the "best for the role" crowd have anything to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

"I always knew I wanted the 13th Doctor to be a woman and we're thrilled to have secured our number one choice.
    "Her audition for the Doctor simply blew us all away. Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature and will bring loads of wit, strength and warmth to the role. The 13th Doctor is on her way."

Basically, I was looking for a woman and be damned if a better male actor showed up.

No mention of ANY male actors in this article at all...

ReputationRep:

"I always knew I wanted the 13th Doctor to be a woman and we're thrilled to have secured our number one choice.
    "Her audition for the Doctor simply blew us all away. Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature and will bring loads of wit, strength and warmth to the role. The 13th Doctor is on her way."

Basically, I was looking for a woman and be damned if a better male actor showed up.

And how many women auditioned for the previous 12 doctors? Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but I'd imagine they all called for a male actor..
    To be clear all these feminist motivations do concern me. I dislike the "progressive" movement on the whole, and have a general distaste for the forcing of diversity for it's own sake, even if I am fine with diversity itself. But I don't think most people are under the illusion that there was no gender choice made, that they auditioned male and female actors and picked the best one, and I really don't think it's at all criminal to specify for an actress. I just don't want to see the Doctor become another bland, uninspired female lead, whose only characteristics are being really good at everything and not taking crap from men because #girlpower.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else find it a little sad how they said "We always intended for the 13th Doctor to be female" and the new Doctor is a self proclaimed feminist?

Not entirely against it but it sounds as though there was some EXTREME gender bias in this decision, almost as though men were excluded from the decision purely because they are men...
    But others have said on this thread (too many to quote) that it should be a man because it has always been a man. So gender bias right there.

Also how many times did the writers/creators of Dr Who audition female characters for previous regenerations? I would suspect they did not request female actors to audition. But I might be wrong on that part. If they wanted to even consider having a female Dr then they would have had to make that clear as most women would not put themselves forward for a part that in the past has been played only by males.

I could understand they whole it can't be a woman argument if this was say a character on Coronation Street for example who had become ill and needed to be replaced. You couldn't just swap a male for a female - the plots/characters would not longer make sense. But this is a character which changes every few years to because he/she/it regenerates. The new Dr is never the same character as the old one. Really can't understand why having a female Dr is an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    "Even for the better" implying it is necessarily a good move
    Would you prefer ''even if it's for the better'' then? My point was that it doesn't matter that she's a woman, and that nobody knows how good she is at playing the doctor yet because nobody's seen her in that role.

I have no issue whatsoever with the 13th doctor being a female, I can't wait for the Christmas special . But what I find disgraceful is that she got a massive advantage because she is a women. The odds of another man becoming the doctor this time around was practically zero. If this is not sexism then what is? The doctor's character does not conform to a particular gender so it truly does not matter if it is man or a women. Just upset how this was carried out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsar101)
    I have no issue whatsoever with the 13th doctor being a female, I can't wait for the Christmas special . But what I find disgraceful is that she got a massive advantage because she is a women. The odds of another man becoming the doctor this time around was practically zero. If this is not sexism then what is? The doctor's character does not conform to a particular gender so it truly does not matter if it is man or a women. Just upset how this was carried out.
    I'm looking forward to it to. What was Christmas like before Doctor Who came back??

Did you make that complaint for every single other actor to play the doctor, though? Because I don't think they offered many women a chance to audition in the past fifty four years :/

ReputationRep:
    Are you really gonna cry sexism when so far women have stood no chance whatsoever to become the Doctor?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in favour of this decision either and I sadly won't be watching. Jodie Whittaker is not a good actress, you were meant to sympathise with her BC character because her son was murdered but she was just not likeable at all. Given that the same writer is in charge of Doctor Who now, I'm not expecting it to be any good.

(Original post by sek510i)
    I'm looking forward to it to. What was Christmas like before Doctor Who came back??

Did you make that complaint for every single other actor to play the doctor, though? Because I don't think they offered many women a chance to audition in the past fifty four years :/
    (Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
    Are you really gonna cry sexism when so far women have stood no chance whatsoever to become the Doctor?
    Yes I admit it was really unfair that women were not given the part before the selection of the 13th doctor. But living in the 21st century realising the mistakes society has made in the past is it ethically correct now to oppress men for a change? Is revenge a healthy habit for feminism? I am not favouring men over women or vice versa. But as a millennial I think it is righteous to provide everyone with the same opportunities in society rather than favouring one group over another.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I admit it was really unfair that women were not given the part before the selection of the 13th doctor. But living in the 21st century realising the mistakes society has made in the past is it ethically correct now to oppress men for a change? Is revenge a healthy habit for feminism? I am not favouring men over women or vice versa. But as a millennial I think it is righteous to provide everyone with the same opportunities in society rather than favouring one group over another.
    Please don't make me laugh, men aren't oppressed just because they didn't get a TV role. Besides, we've had 4 male Doctors in the nuWho era, I think that's fair considering we live in the 23st century.

Asking specifically for a man/woman when casting isn't oppressive or sexist against the sex not asked for. The writers decided to go in a direction and are looking for someone to fit into that role, simple.

Please don't make me laugh, men aren't oppressed just because they didn't get a TV role. Besides, we've had 4 male Doctors in the nuWho era, I think that's fair considering we live in the 23st century.

Asking specifically for a man/woman when casting isn't oppressive or sexist against the sex not asked for. The writers decided to go in a direction and are looking for someone to fit into that role, simple.
    OK oppression may have been a bit of an extreme word to describe this situation but that does not alter my position regarding this issue in any way. However, I can accept it if the writers were moving towards a particular direction in the story where a women might portray the doctor in a better way. But I don't really think this is the case why she got the part. But due to political correctness.

ReputationRep:
    OK oppression may have been a bit of an extreme word to describe this situation but that does not alter my position regarding this issue in any way. However, I can accept it if the writers were moving towards a particular direction in the story where a women might portray the doctor in a better way. But I don't really think this is the case why she got the part.
    Tell me, do you have any involvement whatsoever in the process of Doctor who? No? I'm fed up of people claiming the Doctor is female purely to be PC or pander to certain demographics. How about you all be quiet, be patient and wait to find out why the Doctor was chosen to be female. It might be really story driven, but I suppose that won't stop you being butt-hurt because "Oh no, the Doctor has tits!".

Tell me, do you have any involvement whatsoever in the process of Doctor who? No? I'm fed up of people claiming the Doctor is female purely to be PC or pander to certain demographics. How about you all be quiet, be patient and wait to find out why the Doctor was chosen to be female. It might be really story driven, but I suppose that won't stop you being butt-hurt because "Oh no, the Doctor has tits!".
    Maybe you should read my previous posts more carefully. Nowhere did I state that a women can't portray a doctor well. I think Jodie Whittaker is going to be wonderful as the 13th doctor. As I said the character of the doctor is unisex and it can be potrayed well by either a male or female irrespective of the story line. But the nature of the selection process to get the role should be transparent and equally fair to everyone no matter what you race or gender is.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should read my previous posts more carefully. Nowhere did I state that a women can'y portray a women well. I think Jodie Whittaker is going to be wonderful as the 13th doctor.
    But the nature of the selection process to get the role should be transparent and equally fair to everyone no matter what you race or gender is.
    Perhaps you should read mine more carefully, I never said that you don't think a woman would be good for the role, just that you think they chose a women to pander to people.
    Unless you're involved in some manner with the casting, whether that be applying or selection, I see no reason why the process should be transparent to you. Are you of the opinion that they should cast the role before they bother to do any writing? The way I see it, they wrote some stories in mind with why the Doctor is female and then proceeded to cast a woman; I don't think they cast a woman and then said "Let's see what we can do to make this work".

Perhaps you should read mine more carefully, I never said that you don't think a woman would be good for the role, just that you think they chose a women to pander to people.
    Unless you're involved in some manner with the casting, whether that be applying or selection, I see no reason why the process should be transparent to you. Are you of the opinion that they should cast the role before they bother to do any writing? The way I see it, they wrote some stories in mind with why the Doctor is female and then proceeded to cast a woman; I don't think they cast a woman and then said "Let's see what we can do to make this work".
    OK that is a valid point and I hope you are right. However, who knows that for certain it is just that, an assumption. I could equally argue that the scripts are influenced by feminists nagging the BBC to make the doctor a female. Now this would make it really sad. You see, both of us are arguing whether Doctor Who and the BBC are heavily influenced by political correctness or not. What this does in essence is undermine the talent of the actors. So, while we certainly have differences in our viewpoints it is best to agree to disagree and we can hope that political correctness does not have such influences and let the story takes its own shape like you said. Good Day
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yup, this has it covered:

Name:  20116876_10155384258375132_414579196120845692_o.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  121.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    I think it's great they mixed it up by having a female Doctor, we've had a female time lord, a female master and now a female doctor so it makes sense.

she was great in Black Mirror as well so hopefully she will be great in the role, im looking forward to her in it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    I never said they couldn't change gender, I said the fact The Doctor has been female has never, ever been referenced in the show. Time Lords can change gender but this specific Time Lord hasn't ever had it mentioned before, now suddenly here it is
    where would it ever have been mentioned? (if you can tell me why, fair enough),

if it hasn't been though, the obvious practical reason is that the showrunners hadn't thought that far ahead before and weren't particularly concerned about the future, in show though, if its normal for time lords to change their gender, why would it be worth being referenced?

ReputationRep:

why would there be any male actors? each regeneration of the doctor is a different character with specific traits, they probably didn't audition young men for number 12 and the same for older men for 10 or 11? the 13th doctor is a character chris chibnall wrote to be a woman

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.