Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Howdy everyone,
    I have put a huge amount of research into trying to find the right degree for me but am still none the wiser.

I take maths, physics, f maths, and music tech at A-Level but am a very broad person; I enjoy/am good at quite a few different subjects and I can't narrow down what my passion is. Can anyone offer any advise?

Much appreciated
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Joelmarvc)
    Howdy everyone,
    I have put a huge amount of research into trying to find the right degree for me but am still none the wiser.

I take maths, physics, f maths, and music tech at A-Level but am a very broad person; I enjoy/am good at quite a few different subjects and I can't narrow down what my passion is. Can anyone offer any advise?

Much appreciated
    !. Look online at national careers or go and see a careers adviser. They will also have career identifying books like what colour is my parachute and pathfinder.

2.Get a prospectus or look online at all the courses a big university does and tick off all those that interest you, then see if you have the a levels.

3. You dont say what you are interested in doing or what A level grades you expect

4. work out whether you want to do a music tech related degree.

5. Work out of you want to go down the stem route and use physics. or for something like engineering..

6. Consider what you want to do after.

You have to approach it from different angles and narrow it down. It just requires you to do some research.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Nothing?!

-Electronic and electrical engineering (because I'm applying for that for 2018 entry )
    -Artificial intelligence
    -Computing science
    -Economics
    -Materials science

I'm being biased with these subjects. What are your interests? You can lots with maths and physics.

I suggest going to open days. I went to the electronic and electrical engineering tour at Manchester and fell in love with it. Didn't thin i'd like it when i saw it on course finder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    !. Look online at national careers or go and see a careers adviser. They will also have career identifying books like what colour is my parachute and pathfinder.

Okay thank you muchly, I will definitely read these books, espeically as I'm interested in this area, and am going to read lots of other books in subjects I might potentially want to persue such as maths, psychology, law, economics, & engineering. Of those subjects, from first glance, are there any you could offer an opinion on?

I do like maths and it has always been my strongest, but I'm worried I'll maybe get sick of doing maths just for sake of maths for three years. Hence, I'm looking at new options I've never studied like psychology and law and economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    Really? Nothing?!

-Electronic and electrical engineering (because I'm applying for that for 2018 entry )
    -Artificial intelligence
    -Computing science
    -Economics
    -Materials science

I'm being biased with these subjects. What are your interests? You can lots with maths and physics.

I suggest going to open days. I went to the electronic and electrical engineering tour at Manchester and fell in love with it. Didn't thin i'd like it when i saw it on course finder.
    Because I'm such a broad person I'm interested in lots of things; I guess I just like learning really.
    For engineering, I think I would be a good fit as I'm creative but also good at maths/physics but I'm worried I've never really had a 'spark' for engineering. I was never interested in cars/planes/tech and was rubbish at DT as a kid. Were you the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joelmarvc)
    Because I'm such a broad person I'm interested in lots of things; I guess I just like learning really.
    For engineering, I think I would be a good fit as I'm creative but also good at maths/physics but I'm worried I've never really had a 'spark' for engineering. I was never interested in cars/planes/tech and was rubbish at DT as a kid. Were you the same?
    Sorry the the late reply. Holiday ATM!!

You do need the spark for to be a good engineer. Although you might make it through uni without the spark, a good engineer uses their intuition and creativity to bring up new, original ideas.

Me myself? I'm still in sixth form but I've always had a curiosity for how things work. More recently, Elon Musk has been my inspiration and role model; everything he does and says, I agree with 100%.

For example, his mission to Mars is something I am incredibly excited about! I don't think I have ever been so excited about something to be honest with you (this sounds like I have a dull life, lol) but I just think it's amazing that we might be able to live on another planet purely based on the fact that engineering makes that possible.

The only doubt I have now is that I'm not sure if I am a creative person. I'm still trying to figure this part out. I used to play Lego as a kid LOTS by myself, I did resistant materials at GCSE and I actually found it quite enjoyable. It was very pleasing creating a product from some wooden strips. I admit however, I wasn't the most practical person but I did learn and I did enjoy it a lot. I spent lots of hours after school working on my project to make it how I wanted it to be. Frankly I don't read as much as I'd like to... maybe this hinders my creativity?

I suggest you research into some hot topics in engineering ATM if you're not sure if you have the spark for it. If they don't interest you, then Engineering might not be for you (not a definitive indicator though, these topics might just bore you). You should also definitely consider going to some open days and go and look at the engineering facilities and attend any lectures they have about the course.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.