Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Can someone give the approximate percentage weightings, of a Cambridge applicant? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kedstar99)
    I went through the Cambridge Application process, got rejected and ended up at Imperial. This is specific to computing. My advice is to stop caring about the process, it's not worth the stress. If oyu are really invested, practice the TSA hard, and just try your best to appear interested. Show some code, show some pet-projects and make sure you understand your math theories. Or at least, just practice your ability to think on unorthodox or unusual problems. Often doing coding would help with this because the process involves breaking down a series of steps into smaller sub-problems. The interviewers love this kind of breaking down a mathematical problem into smaller sub-problems. However, even if you do this, I don't think it's worth the stress and preparation.

University is a lot more beyond name, and Oxbridge + Imperial. Even getting past the interview process barely scratches the difficulty of the process. I know people who struggle extremely hard and do their best but still end up just hating the entire 4 years. They can end up doing terribly and end up wtih massive mental or physical problems due to the rigour or stress of the subject. These are people who looked at name beyond the course. I think a much better point would be to actually find out if you enjoy the University or course. That is more important than these damn tests and can help you with the process. Find out about latest trends in the Linux Kernel, ML, Deep Mind or some specific Crypto strategy like Diffie Helman. Find out if you can understand and enjoy staring at that kind of thing for extended periods of time, because that is what you will be doing.
    Just to say, the TSA was dropped a while ago by most colleges for most courses. For CompSci they introduced the CSAT, an at-interview test.

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/...missions-test/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Just to say, the TSA was dropped a while ago by most colleges for most courses. For CompSci they introduced the CSAT, an at-interview test.

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/...missions-test/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My advice would still be the same, try and practice it at least once to be familiar of the type of question. However, you are very likely to be beaten because there are naturally people who have been brought up to think on the spot and solve those tests without much effort. It's another aptitude test and some people do well, others not so. In many ways, it's just a damn lottery.

Focus more on researching everything else (especially the courses themselves), Cambridge isn't worth that much.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Thank you very much for popping in to stamp the official seal of approval.

The way I look at how Cambridge uses info on applicants is a bit like building 3D jigsaw puzzle.
    Each applicant comes with a different set of pieces, all different in sizes, shapes, colours, etc. etc. The admission people build an image of each candidate with those varied pieces and try to find out what sort of student they have been so far and what sort of student they're likely to grow in the environment Cambridge can offer them.
    Then you compare those 'images' of candidates and decide which one/s would be good for them and whether Cambridge will be a right place for them.
    So no comparison of a certain element across candidates or fixed weighting for each element.

C
    Please class me as a temporary & seasonal worker for the team. I'm supposed to have retired last summer.......
    An interesting way of putting it and a fair description I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions)
    An interesting way of putting it and a fair description I think.
    I think the metaphor also works because unlike those primary school template boxes where a triangle slots in but a circle does not, the jigsaw features all kinds of different pieces which naturally fall into place - there is no need to change personality to 'fit in', all you need are the skills to make sure you form part of a relatively coherent 'picture' of passionate hard-workers at the end.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Oh I'm sure they're capable of interpreting and assessing whatever unfathomably weird shapes and forms they end up with. They are the best university in the country that created Turner Prize after all.
    Picasso's newly retitled work:

A portrait of a Cambridge applicant.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...281dc7bfe5.jpg

Looks about right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.