Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    An acute-angled triangle lies in the plane such that the coordinates of its vertices
    are all different integers and no sides are parallel to the coordinate axes. If the
    triangle has area 348 and one side of length 29, what is the product of the lengths of the other two sides?

Any hints? I can't seem to get an algebraic approach to work as too many variables and results on lattice-point triangles e.g. Pick's Theorem seem promising but can't easily be related to side lengths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prasiortle)
    An acute-angled triangle lies in the plane such that the coordinates of its vertices
    are all different integers and no sides are parallel to the coordinate axes. If the
    triangle has area 348 and one side of length 29, what is the product of the lengths of the other two sides?

Any hints? I can't seem to get an algebraic approach to work as too many variables and results on lattice-point triangles e.g. Pick's Theorem seem promising but can't easily be related to side lengths.
    Place one vertex at the origin and another 29 units from the origin. What could be the coordinates of this point? Now there is only one more point to find.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BuryMathsTutor)
    Place one vertex at the origin and another 29 units from the origin. What could be the coordinates of this point? Now there is only one more point to find.
    The origin can't be a vertex as "the coordinates of its vertices are all different integers", whereas 0 and 0 (the x- and y-coordinates of the origin) are the same. In any case I tried placing one point at (-1, 0) and then another point at (19, 21), using the 20-21-29 Pythagorean triple, but I still don't see how to find the third point just from that.

ReputationRep:
    The origin can't be a vertex as "the coordinates of its vertices are all different integers", whereas 0 and 0 (the x- and y-coordinates of the origin) are the same. In any case I tried placing one point at (-1, 0) and then another point at (19, 21), using the 20-21-29 Pythagorean triple, but I still don't see how to find the third point just from that.
    That requirement doesn't change the solution though.

Do you know how to find the area of a triangle using the cross product?

ReputationRep:
    That requirement doesn't change the solution though.

Do you know how to find the area of a triangle using the cross product?
    Yes, 1/2 * the magnitude of the cross product of the two vectors. But how does that help?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, 1/2 * the magnitude of the cross product of the two vectors. But how does that help?
    Can you use it to find an equation to solve?

ReputationRep:
    in the statement "the coordinates of its vertices
    are all different integers and no sides are parallel to the coordinate axes" the highlighted part is automatically implied by the first part... you cannot have 3 pairs of coordinates where the 6 digits are different and have a side parallel to the x or the y axis

ReputationRep:
    Can you use it to find an equation to solve?
    If I let the third point have coordinates (a, b) and equate the area to 348, I can get an equation which could already have been reached much more easily using the Shoelace Formula. But then there's two variables and the only way to eliminate one is to attempt to incorporate the fact that the side lengths must all be integers...

ReputationRep:
    If I let the third point have coordinates (a, b) and equate the area to 348, I can get an equation which could already have been reached much more easily using the Shoelace Formula. But then there's two variables and the only way to eliminate one is to attempt to incorporate the fact that the side lengths must all be integers...
    What is your equation?

ReputationRep:
    What is your equation?
    If we place points at (0,0), (21,20), and (a,b), we get 20a-21b=696.

ReputationRep:
    If we place points at (0,0), (21,20), and (a,b), we get 20a-21b=696.
    Your equation is not quite correct. It does produce a solution (-3,-36) giving a triangle with the correct area but this is not the point that you require as this does not give an acute angled triangle.

ReputationRep:
    Your equation is not quite correct. It does produce a solution (-3,-36) giving a triangle with the correct area but this is not the point that you require as this does not give an acute angled triangle.
    Then I don't know how to get any other equation...

ReputationRep:
    Then I don't know how to get any other equation...
    As you said, earlier, you need the magnitude..

21b-20a=696 gives the correct point.

ReputationRep:
    As you said, earlier, you need the magnitude..

21b-20a=696 gives the correct point.
    If the point is hence (3,36) then we get sides of 29, sqrt(1305), and sqrt(580), giving a product of 870, which is listed as the correct answer. Thanks for your assistance!

ReputationRep:
    If the point is hence (3,36) then we get sides of 29, sqrt(1305), and sqrt(580), giving a product of 870, which is listed as the correct answer. Thanks for your assistance!
    You're welcome.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.