Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

What Would You Do in My Situation? Watch

So let me start from the beginning... I'm 18, waiting for A Level exam results (along with a lot of people my age) and I'm planning to go to a university which is at least three hours away from my hometown because I hate my family. I have quite a few siblings, all older than me, who I don't really talk to because I hate them so much. Like it isn't the ordinary 'sibling spat' at one another - it's much worse. Just the other day, my oldest brother (the only sibling that I actually spoke to) was so horrible to me and they all blame me for the fact that my mum is ill because I don't do anything for her (because she makes me a sandwich and a cup of tea every now and then) and I explained that I am perfectly capable only the last few months have been stressful with exams and all. Then he went on to add that my cousin has got all A's in his exams and is going to work for Mercedes (he did mechanics, which I assumed wasn't graded like a levels and such). So now I feel worthless. On top of that, he was going to be the one to drive me to university (after I literally begged him because no one else would) so now I'm planning to take the train and send my stuff to uni via Uni Baggage and as soon as I'm there (if I get in) then never look back. I don't want to upset my mum but she sides with the others constantly and never seemed happy about me wanting to go to university (bearing in mind her other kids have never been to university and most of them don't work) - am I doing the right thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So let me start from the beginning... I'm 18, waiting for A Level exam results (along with a lot of people my age) and I'm planning to go to a university which is at least three hours away from my hometown because I hate my family. I have quite a few siblings, all older than me, who I don't really talk to because I hate them so much. Like it isn't the ordinary 'sibling spat' at one another - it's much worse. Just the other day, my oldest brother (the only sibling that I actually spoke to) was so horrible to me and they all blame me for the fact that my mum is ill because I don't do anything for her (because she makes me a sandwich and a cup of tea every now and then) and I explained that I am perfectly capable only the last few months have been stressful with exams and all. Then he went on to add that my cousin has got all A's in his exams and is going to work for Mercedes (he did mechanics, which I assumed wasn't graded like a levels and such). So now I feel worthless. On top of that, he was going to be the one to drive me to university (after I literally begged him because no one else would) so now I'm planning to take the train and send my stuff to uni via Uni Baggage and as soon as I'm there (if I get in) then never look back. I don't want to upset my mum but she sides with the others constantly and never seemed happy about me wanting to go to university (bearing in mind her other kids have never been to university and most of them don't work) - am I doing the right thing?
    Follow your dreams brah.

ReputationRep:
    I think concerning your own mental wellbeing, getting out and getting some independence is the right way to go. Give your family some space, try not to take the things they're saying too much to heart, and stay in contact with your mum, even if it means just a phone call once every couple of weeks. She'll appreciate the contact, and since you won't be surrounded by them quite so much you might find when you do speak to them you'll have a bit more tolerance for each other. I can't recommend university enough since the freedom that it gives you is fantastic. So most definetely go and maybe limit your contact with the more negative members of your family, but keep in contact with your mum every now and again. If your siblings are so judgemental of everything you do, does it really matter what their opinions are anyway?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 18, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.