Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

A2 History Coursework advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Need help urgently on how to get useful primary and secondary sources for A2 History coursework (I'm beyond stressed). My exam board is OCR.

Thanks for any advice given
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenfleece)
    Need help urgently on how to get useful primary and secondary sources for A2 History coursework (I'm beyond stressed). My exam board is OCR.

Hi, there. I can sort of help you out but I'm doing OCR A Level History from September

ReputationRep:
    Whats the topic on?

Some tips:
    Use primary sources to back up secondary sources but never the other way round
    Read the spec to know what you're meant to be writing about
    Go on amazon and buy lots of second hand books for 1p each.. you can buy MASSIVE which will really help with your sources
    Visit the library (or maybe a school one if you have one?) and there should be lots there.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Hi! I didn't do history at A Level, but I know lots of my friends used history books for their coursework - that's probably obvious, but it's the best I could think of! There should also be some websites around that will have some useful information, do you know what your coursework is on? Maybe we can pull together some suggestions.

I'm going to move your thread over to the history section too, hopefully you'll get more replies there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zystra)
    I'm curious as to why primary sources, ie actual historical evidence, are regarded as less important than what someone says about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zystra)
    Whats the topic on?

Some tips:
    Read the spec to know what you're meant to be writing about
    Go on amazon and buy lots of second hand books for 1p each.. you can buy MASSIVE which will really help with your sources
    Visit the library (or maybe a school one if you have one?) and there should be lots there.
    Hi. My topic is the Liberal Reforms and how effective they were at tackling inequality. Thanks for the tips
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi. My topic is the Liberal Reforms and how effective they were at tackling inequality. Thanks for the tips
    Interesting, I still have my resources lying around my room so I can help in terms of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    I'm curious as to why primary sources, ie actual historical evidence, are regarded as less important than what someone says about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Peoples opinion of history matters just as much as what actually happened. Secondary sources often bring up points not factored in at the time. Historians have access to things that were held confidential at the time and statistics to compare things to.

In this coursework primary source is not less important however secondary sources shouldn't be neglected as they are still useful. Take all primary sources as FACTS and secondary sources as things that need to be backed up with evidence eg primary evidence or contextual knowledge

ReputationRep:

I'm doing OCR A Level History too - for my topic I've been looking on Amazon for cheap books which are about it (I'm doing it on the Algerian War) and Wikipedia, which has a bibliography kind of thing at the bottom of each article - usually full of books on the subject. Libraries, especially university ones, usually have a large choice of books, and there are websites such as JSTOR which provides many articles/pieces on books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
    Interesting, I still have my resources lying around my room so I can help in terms of that.
    That would be great thanks

ReputationRep:
    Jstor and Cambridge Journals!
    I know that you need a university subscription to access a fair amount of this content but a lot of it is free. It might take a little while to get your head around if you haven't used journal articles before but they're brilliant in terms of secondary material because they're so much shorter and easier to digest than books.

Google books is really good as well.
    There a lot of complete books on there that are free to access but it's still worth looking at the ones that only have certain pages available because you might find the info you need, or decide it's a book worth paying for.

For primary material, try using the British Library and National Archive websites. Also, try searching for 'readers' (these are basically just books containing collections of source material, like excerpts from chronicles, eyewitness accounts, newspapers and so on).

What period is your coursework on? I'm happy to use my uni library search to identify some useful material and readers for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiracyan)
    Jstor and Cambridge Journals!
    I know that you need a university subscription to access a fair amount of this content but a lot of it is free. It might take a little while to get your head around if you haven't used journal articles before but they're brilliant in terms of secondary material because they're so much shorter and easier to digest than books.

Google books is really good as well.
    There a lot of complete books on there that are free to access but it's still worth looking at the ones that only have certain pages available because you might find the info you need, or decide it's a book worth paying for.

For primary material, try using the British Library and National Archive websites. Also, try searching for 'readers' (these are basically just books containing collections of source material, like excerpts from chronicles, eyewitness accounts, newspapers and so on).

What period is your coursework on? I'm happy to use my uni library search to identify some useful material and readers for you.
    Hello . My coursework is about the liberal reforms 1906-14 (if they were effective in tackling inequality) Thankyou for all the help and advice ☺️

Poll
What is your favourite film genre?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.