Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I understand that as an NQT, your minimum wage will be around £22,400 approx. I read online that this can be different in academies? Will it be lower?!

My next question is what exactly is the pay scale M1-6. I understand most nqt start on M1, but what does the Internet mean by you get a review each September and you bump up the scale? So by your 6th year, will you be on M6?? What if you switch schools?

As well as this, I also read academies don't have the pay scale (M1-6) ? Is this true? If so how are pay rises done?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From what I understand, as I move into my second year of teaching in September, I go up the scale from M1 to M2. This will happen every year until I reach M6, because as I gain experience I should also be performing better and therefore showing that I deserve to earn more.

When you move schools, I believe they pay you at a point on the scale based on the experience you have gained so far, although this would depend on the county and school you are moving to.

Academies can set their own pay scales, and so are not bound by the dictated one for the LA schools. However, I think they must pay at least the minimum amount on the pay scale. In many cases I have heard of, academies pay teachers more than the points on the pay scale, simply because they have the freedom to do that with their budget, and they think it will help them keep hold of teachers through the years (cynical point of view, sorry!) When you have a performance review, that is when pay rises are potentially given, all based on whether the school thinks and has evidence of you doing a good enough job to have deserved the pay rise.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superdan_)
    Hi,

I understand that as an NQT, your minimum wage will be around £22,400 approx. I read online that this can be different in academies? Will it be lower?!

My next question is what exactly is the pay scale M1-6. I understand most nqt start on M1, but what does the Internet mean by you get a review each September and you bump up the scale? So by your 6th year, will you be on M6?? What if you switch schools?

As well as this, I also read academies don't have the pay scale (M1-6) ? Is this true? If so how are pay rises done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Academies can set their own pay scales. Their scales may or may not include pay progression. It's really up to them. In practice, most academies stick to the same model as local authority maintained schools. When you change schools, you might join at the same point on the scale or a different point (higher or lower). That's for you to negotiate at interview.

ReputationRep:
    If an academy wanted to have their own pay scale this would have to be agreed by unions. In reality most adhere to the burgundy book on teachers pay and conditions and therefore stick to the published pay scales. You can find out what the salaries are for each point by looking on the internet, the NASUWT website for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanbrain)
    From what I understand, as I move into my second year of teaching in September, I go up the scale from M1 to M2. This will happen every year until I reach M6, because as I gain experience I should also be performing better and therefore showing that I deserve to earn more.

When you move schools, I believe they pay you at a point on the scale based on the experience you have gained so far, although this would depend on the county and school you are moving to.

Academies can set their own pay scales, and so are not bound by the dictated one for the LA schools. However, I think they must pay at least the minimum amount on the pay scale. In many cases I have heard of, academies pay teachers more than the points on the pay scale, simply because they have the freedom to do that with their budget, and they think it will help them keep hold of teachers through the years (cynical point of view, sorry!) When you have a performance review, that is when pay rises are potentially given, all based on whether the school thinks and has evidence of you doing a good enough job to have deserved the pay rise.
    Thankyou for this info. So have you not been told if you're getting a pay rise?

Also how often are performance reviews and what do they consist of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Appraisals take place annually. Some targets are reviewed and others set. What these targets might be very much depends on the individual school.

Here's the NUT guidance: https://www.teachers.org.uk/paytoolkit/progression

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for this info. So have you not been told if you're getting a pay rise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't been told if I am getting a pay rise, no. But I have no reason to think that I wouldn't be, and I think that I would be told if I wouldn't be. I'm lucky to have a good relationship with the SLT in my school

The performance reviews are bi-annual in my school, in the sense that they have one early on to set targets, and one at the end of the year to review the targets. I haven't had one yet, technically, because as an NQT I have been reviewed under the induction system. Next year will be my first performance management meeting, and I can't say I'm looking forward to it - but that's more because of how I am about things, not because the time spent doing it will be unpleasant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.