Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Can't understand the question (business law) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Even though I'm a Bussiness Student, I really need help with this one.
    I have failed one of the assessments for Business Environments at my first year at uni, so I've been told to do an essay as the reassesment in order to progress in uni further. The problem is that I'm not really good at Business Law, although we've been taught of it too, and English is not my first language. The essay title is:

Critically examine the provisions of Part 1 of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 relating to product liability. To what extent do these provisions constitute an improvement upon the common law rules?

Could anyone please explain to me what does the second sentence of the essay title means? I really don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YosemiteSam)
    Even though I'm a Bussiness Student, I really need help with this one.
    I have failed one of the assessments for Business Environments at my first year at uni, so I've been told to do an essay as the reassesment in order to progress in uni further. The problem is that I'm not really good at Business Law, although we've been taught of it too, and English is not my first language. The essay title is:

Critically examine the provisions of Part 1 of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 relating to product liability. To what extent do these provisions constitute an improvement upon the common law rules?

Could anyone please explain to me what does the second sentence of the essay title means? I really don't get it.
    This question is asking you to compare the rules contained within statute (i.e. part 1 of the Consumer Protection Act 1987) with the rules that had been created previously in cases (i.e. common law rules). Product liability is concerned with making the manufacturers of products liable when a defect in that prodcut has caused injury or harm to another person.

Part 1 of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 introduced the notion of strict liability for defective products into UK law. This means that if there was a defect in a particular product then the manufacturer of the product would be automatically liable for any harm caused by that defect whether he or she was at fault or not. So, the question is asking you how the statute here has improved the case law covering the same domain (i.e. how statute has improved the law relating to product liability, as found in case law).

I hope this helps!

Llama

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLawLlama)
    This question is asking you to compare the rules contained within statute (i.e. part 1 of the Consumer Protection Act 1987) with the rules that had been created previously in cases (i.e. common law rules). Product liability is concerned with making the manufacturers of products liable when a defect in that prodcut has caused injury or harm to another person.

Part 1 of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 introduced the notion of strict liability for defective products into UK law. This means that if there was a defect in a particular product then the manufacturer of the product would be automatically liable for any harm caused by that defect whether he or she was at fault or not. So, the question is asking you how the statute here has improved the case law covering the same domain (i.e. how statute has improved the law relating to product liability, as found in case law).

I hope this helps!

Llama
    Thank you for your response!

Now I believe that I might have confused these "common law rules" with the term "(English) Common Law".
    Other than that how do I learn which acts and laws related to product liability where implemented and used before CPA 1987? In the copy of the official document I found list of amendments (Limitation of actions under Part I) - is that what I should focus on?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response!

Now I believe that I might have confused these "common law rules" with the term "(English) Common Law".
    Other than that how do I learn which acts and laws related to product liability where implemented and used before CPA 1987? In the copy of the official document I found list of amendments (Limitation of actions under Part I) - is that what I should focus on?
    No, the 'common law rules' is the English Common Law. Both phrases essentially mean judge made law i.e. case law. You aren't looking for acts/stature prior to the CPA 1987, you are looking for CASES relating to product liability that existed before the CPA 1987 and comparing those cases to what is contained within the CPA 1987 itself

Llama

ReputationRep:
    No, they amount to the same thing. It is difficult to pin down common law precisely because it cannot be found in any one place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLawLlama)
    No, the 'common law rules' is the English Common Law. Both phrases essentially mean judge made law i.e. case law. You aren't looking for acts/stature prior to the CPA 1987, you are looking for CASES relating to product liability that existed before the CPA 1987 and comparing those cases to what is contained within the CPA 1987 itself

Llama
    Oh, now I got it. Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, now I got it. Thanks a lot!
    No worries, glad I could help!

Llama

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.