Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

University of Kent and Physics Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I have a few questions about the university and I would be very grateful if someone could answer them!

1. I'm holding an offer to Kent for physics with astrophysics and a year abroad (ABB MSc), but I'm thinking it's unlikely I'll get those grades. Maybe BBB-BCC? What are my chances of still being accepted, or even taken on the BSc course? I know it varies year to year, but still.

2. What's the teaching of physics like at Kent? I've seen that people mostly regard it highly for humanities subjects, and despite having a relatively high overall ranking, physics as a subject is ranked quite low.

3. Could anyone tell me what the rooms are like? I applied for Turing and Keynes - college and houses:-!. Also, I completed the application mid to late April, was this too late to be given my first (or any) choices?

4. How difficult is it balancing activities and societies with school work (particularly science students)? I'm kinda wanting to join at least one sport (a martial art, maybe kendo?), a dance, and a music/choir society, lol. Will it take up all of my time?

5. Any idea how soundproof the rooms are? I'm a bit of a singer and I'll be bringing my eclectic guitar and amp, and wouldn't want to disturb anyone.😅

6. This is a bit different, but are there any other large(ish) bodies of water on or near campus apart from the one near Keynes?! Lol, I just really love things like that😊

Haha, sorry about this very long post; any answers will be very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyKunoichi)
    Hi everyone,
    I have a few questions about the university and I would be very grateful if someone could answer them!

1. I'm holding an offer to Kent for physics with astrophysics and a year abroad (ABB MSc), but I'm thinking it's unlikely I'll get those grades. Maybe BBB-BCC? What are my chances of still being accepted, or even taken on the BSc course? I know it varies year to year, but still.
    Fairy good if you narrowly miss your grades, but obviously will vary.

4. How difficult is it balancing activities and societies with school work (particularly science students)? I'm kinda wanting to join at least one sport (a martial art, maybe kendo?), a dance, and a music/choir society, lol. Will it take up all of my time?
    You will have time to do a lot if you are organised, you're unlikely to be studying more than 40 hours a week even if you're diligent, so the time is there. It depends if you are the kind of person who is happy to be busy all the time or like time to just chill out. Plus whether you want to be just turning up to these things occasionally, or taking a leading role on committees etc.

6. This is a bit different, but are there any other large(ish) bodies of water on or near campus apart from the one near Keynes?! Lol, I just really love things like that😊
    There are a few other ponds on campus, although some are hidden in woods. There are big bodies of water just outside the city East and West, along the Stour, including a big bird nature reserve.

And there's lots of water at Whitstable!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Yeah, I was planning on going to at least 2 societies semi regularly.
    Haha, good to know I'll just have to go searching for some ponds😊 also, do you know if whitstable beach is pebbly or sandy, and is there a direct bus?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 22, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.