alice110
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

Recently I was told that I should only bother taking textiles A-level if I am taking art as well. This is the first I've heard of this but it's still causing me stress!

Has anyone done textiles A-level and not done art? Or do I need to reconsider my choices?

Thanks!
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alice110)
Hi,

Recently I was told that I should only bother taking textiles A-level if I am taking art as well. This is the first I've heard of this but it's still causing me stress!

Has anyone done textiles A-level and not done art? Or do I need to reconsider my choices?

Thanks!
I didn't take either but I don't agree with this at all! If you're perfectly capable when it comes to Textiles, you should be fine. The only reason I can think that someone would say this is because you'll have to do a fair amount of drawing of designs, but you don't need to take Art to be good enough to do that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3025040
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're planning to take it past A-Level, it's good to take art with it too. The advice was probably given with good combinations for A-Level in mind.
s4b3rt00th
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was told it's a terrible decision to take them both, as they are both "far too similar", which means they won't give you a wide range of options.
alice110
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am currently unsure about what I want to do after A-levels and so I didn't want to base my choices around arty subjects when there's a risk of me entirely changing my mind in 2 years!! I decided to do varied subjects, but ones that I enjoy, as I'm therefore likely to get more out of them!
The lady I spoke to made me doubt that decision as I do really love textiles and so it's the subject I'm most likely to take further. However without any intention of sounding pretentious, I think I'm capable enough when it comes to design and if art would only help me in that respect, I think I'll stick with my chosen (varied) options as it seems safer for someone as undecided as myself!

Thank you all for your help
carys99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,
I have just finished yr 13 and studied A level Textiles, Media studies and English lang&lit. You absolutely do not need to study art alongside textiles, they're two completely different a-levels. A-level textiles is wonderful and a really versatile art subject.
You really don't need to take art just to study textiles!!! (plus you would definitely have no life from that amount of work!!)
Hope this helps
bloated_utopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
art a level is sort of the (visually) creative facilitating subject. if you do art its easier to move into a broader range of subjects in foundation like fashion, graphics, 3d design, textiles and art. if you just do textiles it merely may be more tricky to shift to something like graphics in foundation (although it could give you a really unique perspective). that's all. plus doing art could give you time to develop skills like observational drawing and more fine art processes in a more intense manner, if you are inclined to do the work. good luck
malalay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by carys99)
Hi,
I have just finished yr 13 and studied A level Textiles, Media studies and English lang&lit. You absolutely do not need to study art alongside textiles, they're two completely different a-levels. A-level textiles is wonderful and a really versatile art subject.
You really don't need to take art just to study textiles!!! (plus you would definitely have no life from that amount of work!!)
Hope this helps
Hiya i just wanted to ask what sixth form you studied textiles at, because im in search for a sixth form that offers textiles in london.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (614)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (764)
42%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (361)
19.85%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.4%

Watched Threads