Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

To those who do/have done 5 A-Levels, how did your school allow you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    In my school, they would give people several options and let them decide. So it usually worked out like this (generalizing a lot):
    • Football - Jocks, serious players
    • Basketball - Again, all serious players
    • Badminton - A few serious players and a lot of girls who "umpire" and do nothing
    • Trampolining - The sluts
    • Dodgeball - Everyone else. Half of them just deliberately get themselves out and sit there.

If the government think forcing teens to do sport at school will work, they're wrong. Us sneaky teens will always find a way out...
    We get to choose which sports we want to do, but it's not THAT optional because we pick two sports to do a term, and the two sports are combined with **** ones that I don't want to do. For example, I mostly chose Badminton and Fitness for all the terms because I actually enjoy Badminton but Fitness is the biggest pain the arse ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zereux)
    We get to choose which sports we want to do, but it's not THAT optional because we pick two sports to do a term, and the two sports are combined with **** ones that I don't want to do. For example, I mostly chose Badminton and Fitness for all the terms because I actually enjoy Badminton but Fitness is the biggest pain the arse ever.
    I see. My problem is that I can't stand any sport that involves a ball xD. I can run (unfortunately swimming and cycling aren't done at my school), and that's pretty much it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do 5 A-levels but a friend of mine did 5 AS's in his first year at sixth form. We have this programme called "extend" at our sixth form which is a group of people who have a gcse average above 7, so they try to get us to apply to oxbridge/medicine etc.. They were quite happy for any of us to do 5 AS's in the first year as we were all capable of it due to our avg score, but now they're being more strict about it for the new AS's in September. In my year there are about 800 students, and only 2 did 5 AS's, to put it in perspective. Of those 2 in the end, one dropped to 4A2s (you need straight A's at AS to do 4) and the other dropped to 3. The positive my friend said about it was that it made doing 4 A2 subjects slightly easier than what I found, going from 4AS to 4A2.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zereux)
    some seem reluctant to let students do even 4 A-levels
    Because *no* university requires more than 3 A-levels.

Quality not quantity is the thing: A*A*A is much better than A*AABC

And for admissions purposes A*A*A is equivalent to A*A*AAA (your 4th and 5th lowest A-levels are ignored in a 3 A-level offer).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It'll be the new Linear A levels. In the past AS levels allowed students to have a lighter workload in 2nd year as they had already sat exams for their AS content. However now you are likely to sit all exams at the end of 2 years which means by doing 5 subjects you will be extremely stretched and getting the high grades will be harder no matter how smart you are. Sure do 5 if you want to do 5, but you may compromise performance over wanting to be extra.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie.mn)
    It'll be the new Linear A levels. In the past AS levels allowed students to have a lighter workload in 2nd year as they had already sat exams for their AS content. However now you are likely to sit all exams at the end of 2 years which means by doing 5 subjects you will be extremely stretched and getting the high grades will be harder no matter how smart you are. Sure do 5 if you want to do 5, but you may compromise performance over wanting to be extra.
    That's a good point.

Zereux, note in previous years you would have banked 50% of your marks from the Y12 ASs and you could focus entirely on the A2 material in Y13. Now Y13 will require revision of Y12 material on top of the new Y13 material.

Anyone who succesfully did 4+ A-levels in prior years is underestimating the amount of work that will now be required in Y13 with linear A-levels. Making it an even less good an idea than it was previously.

ReputationRep:
    I like how OP doesn't bother to reply to comments that don't agree with "5 alevels is ez"

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.