Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1233 - Cornwall and Yorkshire Powers (Devolution on Demand) Act 2017 Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    B1233 - Cornwall and Yorkshire Powers (Devolution on Demand) Act 2017, The Hon. Hazzer MP

Cornwall and Yorkshire Powers (Devolution on Demand) Act 2017

An act to devolve more powers to Cornwall and Yorkshire and to establish a Parliament in Cornwall and Yorkshire.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows: -

1. Devolved Powers
    1. Cornwall and Yorkshire shall be devolved powers in
    1. Health
    2. Education and Training
    3. Local Government
    4. Social Services
    5. Housing
    6. Tourism and Economic development
    7. Transport
    8. Planning and the Environment
    9. Sports and the Arts
    10. Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing

1. Cornish Parliament
    1. A Cornish Parliament shall be established with 123 elected members representing 123 wards in Cornwall located in Truro.
    2. Members of the Cornish Parliaments shall be addressed as “Members of the Cornish Parliament” (MCP)
    3. The First Past the Post (FPTP) Shall be used
    4. The Date of the first election shall be on the 5th May 2022
    5. To Form a devolved government 62 or more seats will be needed
    6. The Constituencies shall be listed in the notes section

1. Yorkshire Parliament

1. A Yorkshire Parliament shall be established with 64 elected members.
    2. Members of the Yorkshire Parliament shall be assessed as “Members of the Yorkshire Parliament””( MYP)
    3. The First past the post(FPTP) Shall be used
    4. The Date of the first election shall be on the 5th May 2022
    5. To form a devolved government 33 or more seats will be needs
    6. The Constituencies shall be listed in the notes section

(4) Short title, commencement and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Cornwall and Yorkshire Powers (Devolution on Demand) Act 2017
    (2) This Act comes into force on the 5th May 2022
    (3) This Act extends to Cornwall and Yorkshire
    Notes
    There is a demand for Cornwall to receive more powers from the government such as the powers devolved to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Cornish Parliament Constituencies

Yorkshire Parliament consititiuencies

• York Central

• York Outer
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Just no.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Devolution is not a panacea - a magic bullet to solve all problems. Cornwall is currently one of the most deprived areas of the UK, reliant on additional funding from central legislatures, and the European Union through its conglomerate 'Structural and Investment Funds'. Cornwall, containing just over 1% of England's population would be severely impacted through the application of the Barnett Formula.

Whilst more control could - note could, not necessarily would (dependent on the actual terms of partial devolution, not stated in the bill) - ameliorate conditions, full scale devolution, as delineated in the above bill, would do more harm than good.

Hence, nay.

ReputationRep:
    No, not without referendum. Believe that it should be the people that decide whether or not they want them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommy1boy)
    No, not without referendum.
    Hazzer is the author, there's no point quoting me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Hazzer is the author, there's no point quoting me.
    Yeah dw, did it by mistake and deleted almost straight after I posted
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Why use FPTP and ignore precedent for devolved areas?

ReputationRep:
    Nay, not to this extent.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm not keen on the tendency to conflate Cornwall (a Celtic nation with a separate language and cultural identity) with Yorkshire (a county of England whose particularly strong identity would seem to be a result of its size). There's no justification for a national legislatiure for Yorkshire.

Also there's no way a Cornish Parliament can justify 123 members, more than double the number in the National Assembly for Wales, should not use first past the post and should be allowed to form minority Cornish Governments. If you compare the Government of Wales Act 2006 for example that also has a lot of detail about how the National Assembly for Wales functions which is not present here.

ReputationRep:
    Not without a referendum and a fair voting system.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No, not without referendum. Believe that it should be the people that decide whether or not they want them.
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Do I have to tell you how much of a waste of money a referendum would be? And the cost would have to be on the Cornish taxpayer, not the rest of the United Kingdom. People in this House throw the word referendum around as if it's nothing and that the word carries no weight. It does and we should stop having referendums for the sake of having referendums. I see no benefit of Cornwall, in its current state, to becoming a devolved government. None at all. Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, yes. They're states in their own right. However, Cornwall is part of England and does not form its own state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    Do I have to tell you how much of a waste of money a referendum would be? And the cost would have to be on the Cornish taxpayer, not the rest of the United Kingdom.
    It would be money well spent to consult the people of these areas on whether or not they want another level of government.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It would be money well spent to consult the people of these areas on whether or not they want another level of government.
    Yet, as I said, Cornwall is not a country in its own right. It is a county of England. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have devolved governments mainly because they are, as stated, countries in their own right and therefore have a devolved administration. I see no benefit to us adding another level of government to a county.

On the matter of the referendum and its cost, the money would not be well spent at all. It would be a waste. It would be held to just sate the appetite of referendums for some within this House.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    Yet, as I said, Cornwall is not a country in its own right. It is a county of England. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have devolved governments mainly because they are, as stated, countries in their own right and therefore have a devolved administration. I see no benefit to us adding another level of government to a county. The money would not be well spent at all. It would be a waste. This would be held to just sate the appetite of referendums for some within this House.
    I happen to agree. I agree that they should not have its own assembly / parliament. However my point is that I would support a referendum to see what the people think, if there is public apetite for one.

ReputationRep:
    Devolution is a worthy cause but for god's sake it needs to be proportional representation, so until you change that I'm an abstain
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nay. This is a poor legislation anyway and speaking of devolution, a referendum should be held first before anything happens.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    Devolution is a worthy cause but for god's sake it needs to be proportional representation, so until you change that I'm an abstain
    I'll Look into this and make some changes for a second reading
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    See my reply above.

ReputationRep:
    I’d rather see a bill to undo Scottish and Welsh devolution and replacing their powers with more Scottish & welsh power at Westminster.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.