Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

B1233 - Cornwall and Yorkshire Powers (Devolution on Demand) Act 2017 Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    hazzer1998, nice idea. I have some edits for you:

B1233 - Cornwall and Yorkshire Powers (Devolution on Demand) Act 2017, The Hon. Hazzer MP

Cornwall and Yorkshire Powers (Devolution on Demand) Act 2017

An act to devolve more powers to Cornwall and Yorkshire and to establish a Parliament in Cornwall and Yorkshire.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows: -

1. Devolved Powers
    1. Cornwall and Yorkshire shall be devolved powers in
    1. Health
    2. Education and Training
    3. Local Government
    4. Social Services
    5. Housing
    6. Tourism and Economic development
    7. Transport
    8. Planning and the Environment
    9. Sports and the Arts
    10. Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing

1. Cornish Parliament
    1. A Cornish Parliament shall be established with 123 elected members representing 123 wards in Cornwall located in Truro.
    2. Members of the Cornish Parliaments shall be addressed as “Members of the Cornish Parliament” (MCP)
    3. The First Past the Post (FPTP) Shall be used
    4. The Date of the first election shall be on the 5th May 2022
    5. To Form a devolved government 62 or more seats will be needed
    6. The Constituencies shall be listed in the notes section

1. Yorkshire Parliament

1. A Yorkshire Parliament shall be established with 64 elected members.
    2. Members of the Yorkshire Parliament shall be assessed as “Members of the Yorkshire Parliament””( MYP)
    3. The First past the post(FPTP) Shall be used
    5. To form a devolved government 33 or more seats will be needs

Make these parliaments assemblies, with similar powers to metro mayors in the respective areas outlined above. Parliament status is too much power. Particularly if Wales has an assembly and not a parliament.

(4) Short title, commencement and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Cornwall and Yorkshire Powers (Devolution on Demand) Act 2017
    (2) This Act comes into force on the 5th May 2022
    (3) This Act extends to Cornwall and Yorkshire
    Notes
    There is a demand for Cornwall to receive more powers from the government such as the powers devolved to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Cornish Parliament Constituencies

Yorkshire Parliament consititiuencies

• York Central

• York Outer
    • Sort out the spaces in the constituency list and put a spoiler round it.

On the whole, if this bill is watered down, I will support it.:yy:

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Some of these powers ought not be devolved as they are not issues to which localism is relevant (health LOOOOOL) - and planning is already devolved to local planning authorities, which is a significantly better idea than devolution on a per-county basis. Furthermore, I would argue the exact opposite of Saracen's Fez: as national identity is an insidious disease which damages the global community, and ought to do our best to destroy it. Accordingly, we should devolve in a way which does not treat Cornwall as a unitary entity.

Edit: finally, much as it pains me to say, this doesn't seem like hazzer1998's work. Can the Hon member assure me that he is the original drafter and this isn't e.g. copied from Reddit?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)

Edit: finally, much as it pains me to say, this doesn't seem like hazzer1998's work. Can the Hon member assure me that he is the original drafter and this isn't e.g. copied from Reddit?
    I hope the Hon Member is'nt accusing me of copying a bill from reddit or from a previous member. I can assure you that this my original work and if he wishes i will send him an original copy of this bill.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    hazzer1998, nice idea. I have some edits for you:

B1233 - Cornwall and Yorkshire Powers (Devolution on Demand) Act 2017, The Hon. Hazzer MP

Cornwall and Yorkshire Powers (Devolution on Demand) Act 2017

An act to devolve more powers to Cornwall and Yorkshire and to establish a Parliament in Cornwall and Yorkshire.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows: -

1. Devolved Powers
    1. Cornwall and Yorkshire shall be devolved powers in
    1. Health
    2. Education and Training
    3. Local Government
    4. Social Services
    5. Housing
    6. Tourism and Economic development
    7. Transport
    8. Planning and the Environment
    9. Sports and the Arts
    10. Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing

1. Cornish Parliament
    1. A Cornish Parliament shall be established with 123 elected members representing 123 wards in Cornwall located in Truro.
    2. Members of the Cornish Parliaments shall be addressed as “Members of the Cornish Parliament” (MCP)
    3. The First Past the Post (FPTP) Shall be used
    5. To Form a devolved government 62 or more seats will be needed

1. Yorkshire Parliament

1. A Yorkshire Parliament shall be established with 64 elected members.
    2. Members of the Yorkshire Parliament shall be assessed as “Members of the Yorkshire Parliament””( MYP)
    3. The First past the post(FPTP) Shall be used
    5. To form a devolved government 33 or more seats will be needs

Make these parliaments assemblies, with similar powers to metro mayors in the respective areas outlined above. Parliament status is too much power. Particularly if Wales has an assembly and not a parliament.

(4) Short title, commencement and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Cornwall and Yorkshire Powers (Devolution on Demand) Act 2017
    (2) This Act comes into force on the 5th May 2022
    (3) This Act extends to Cornwall and Yorkshire
    Notes
    There is a demand for Cornwall to receive more powers from the government such as the powers devolved to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Cornish Parliament Constituencies

Yorkshire Parliament consititiuencies

• York Central

• York Outer
    • Sort out the spaces in the constituency list and put a spoiler round it.

On the whole, if this bill is watered down, I will support it.:yy:
    Thanks for putting the effort into that i will put the changes into a second reading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    I hope the Hon Member is'nt accusing me of copying a bill from reddit or from a previous member. I can assure you that this my original work and if he wishes i will send him an original copy of this bill.
    I am more happy to take your word for this, I merely felt you may have forgotten to add a brief statement to the notes and allege no dishonesty. In that case, I congratulate you on the dramatically improved quality of your proposed legislation (even if I oppose it on policy grounds).
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Thanks for putting the effort into that i will put the changes into a second reading
    Lovely.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield should not be excluded and a referendum would be most suitable.

No

ReputationRep:
    This is a good change, although I feel more of the changes suggested should be followed when it is submitted for second reading.

Nay, for now.

ReputationRep:
    The real question that must be asked is why does the cornish pasty taste so damn good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    The real question that must be asked is why does the cornish pasty taste so damn good.
    Once you've had food poisoning caused by one, that perception changes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Once you've had food poisoning caused by one, that perception changes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh dear. Well maybe your body couldn't handle the awesomeness xD

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear. Well maybe your body couldn't handle the awesomeness xD
    Maybe it's more that I'd had many pasties but then the shite running down my leg was unpleasant.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's more that I'd had many pasties but then the shite running down my leg was unpleasant.
    Eww where was it from?

ReputationRep:
    Eww where was it from?
    Unfortunately a family bakery in a small town in Cornwall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I never knew there was a demand for all this in Cornwall or Yorkshire, or am I wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I never knew there was a demand for all this in Cornwall or Yorkshire, or am I wrong?
    Both have political parties supportive of these measures, although they are very small. The Yorkshire Party got 20,000 votes in their constituency for the 2014 European Elections and around 1,000 in most seats this general election. Mebyon Kernow (The Party for Cornwall) have 4 seats in the Cornwall Council and performed relatively similar to their Yorkshire counterparts in general elections.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately a family bakery in a small town in Cornwall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I demand an inquiry !

ReputationRep:
    Some serious thought has gone into this, hasn't it?

Cornwall, population 550,000, one of the poorest areas in the country, is saddled with the costs of a 123-member parliament, while Yorkshire, population 5.3 million, has only 64 members.

So, a further 187 politicians (the UK House of Commons has only 650, even so bloated as it is) plus their support staff, are to earn a living on the taxpayer. There will soon be more elected politicians than constituents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    A very small demand is out there.

ReputationRep:
    There is no need for devolution for those two counties.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2017
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.