Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm pregnant and don't know what to do Watch

So I was 5 days late and took a test. It's positive. Took another, positive aswell. I think I'm about 3 weeks. I am on the pill but I had food poisoning and had upset stomach so must have been around then.

I'm 27 live with my boyfriend who is 29 - we rent a flat not own it. I have a decent enough job but only been there just under 3 months and my bf is starting a new job next week in a completely new field to what he was doing before.

There's so much I want to do - travel, experience life, get married, advance in my job, buy a house. I haven't told anyone because I'm 99% sure I'm not keeping it. I just feel I'm at an age when a lot of my friends are having babies and I don't know why I don't want one.

My boyfriend doesn't want children yet but he would support me in whatever I'd want. He has a very good "make the best of it" attitude. I will definitely tell him but just want to be sure what my decision is before I do.

I know there's another thread similar on here so thought I'd put it out there to see if responses are different

ReputationRep:
    Happy mothers day for next year.

ReputationRep:
    You're only 3 weeks gone. I would recommend booking a doctors appointment tomorrow and talking to them about it, but if a baby isn't right for where you are in your life right now, don't keep it. It's still just a group of cells, and if a child isn't want you want right now you have every right to abort it. But obviously chat to you boyfriend first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I was 5 days late and took a test. It's positive. Took another, positive aswell. I think I'm about 3 weeks. I am on the pill but I had food poisoning and had upset stomach so must have been around then.

I'm 27 live with my boyfriend who is 29 - we rent a flat not own it. I have a decent enough job but only been there just under 3 months and my bf is starting a new job next week in a completely new field to what he was doing before.

There's so much I want to do - travel, experience life, get married, advance in my job, buy a house. I haven't told anyone because I'm 99% sure I'm not keeping it. I just feel I'm at an age when a lot of my friends are having babies and I don't know why I don't want one.

My boyfriend doesn't want children yet but he would support me in whatever I'd want. He has a very good "make the best of it" attitude. I will definitely tell him but just want to be sure what my decision is before I do.

I know there's another thread similar on here so thought I'd put it out there to see if responses are different
    If your boyfriend is supportive enough, and is willing to see you through with it, I suggest you keep it. After all, at least he isn't one of those hypocrites that go cuckoo upon hearing it. :console:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

You need to speak to your partner to know what he wants for sure. If you aren't ready for kids then you aren't ready I suppose.
    I m not a parent yet, but I ve heard/read many a time that there is no perfect time to have children, it's whether you want to take that step now.

(Original post by Hamoody)
    If your boyfriend is supportive enough, and is willing to see you through with it, I suggest you keep it. After all, at least he isn't one of those hypocrites that go cuckoo upon hearing it. :console:
    It's not really what he needs right now and I'm worried he will want it more than I do? I really really don't want a baby now - definitely not how I planned my life. We've only just moved in together and have only been together a couple years - he hasn't even met my family yet?!!!

ReputationRep:

Speak to your boyfriend, it's his right too.

And having a baby isn't going to stop you from doing any of those things you listed.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really what he needs right now and I'm worried he will want it more than I do? I really really don't want a baby now - definitely not how I planned my life. We've only just moved in together and have only been together a couple years - he hasn't even met my family yet?!!!
    If you're not ready to have the baby then I suggest you talk to him about it. I'm sure he'll be supportive of your decision. After all, if you're not ready to take on the responsibility then you should be able to take the decision not to go ahead and have the baby.

(Original post by Nathan Scott)
    Speak to your boyfriend, it's his right too.

And having a baby isn't going to stop you from doing any of those things you listed.
    It won't stop me outright but it will put a massive restriction on it. I like having no responsibilities and being able to go away for the weekend at short notice and go out with my friends. It's how I want to live my 20s.

ReputationRep:
    It won't stop me outright but it will put a massive restriction on it. I like having no responsibilities and being able to go away for the weekend at short notice and go out with my friends. It's how I want to live my 20s.
    I see where you're coming from but isn't part of being an adult having responsibilities?

(Original post by Nathan Scott)
    I see where you're coming from but isn't part of being an adult having responsibilities?
    Yes I probably meant no ties/dependents. Obviously I have responsiblitlies like my job and flat but if I wanted to I could quit my job and move... can't quit a baby.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I probably meant no ties/dependents. Obviously I have responsiblitlies like my job and flat but if I wanted to I could quit my job and move... can't quit a baby.
    Well it's entirely you and your partners choice at the end of the day but from what I can see you're only focusing on the negatives - having a baby is an amazing thing, you need a balanced perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Just abort it. I see loads of posts about pregnancy. If you don't want the child, abort it.

ReputationRep:
    If you're 99% sure you're not keeping it then you've made your decision, talk to your partner about it.

ReputationRep:
    Welllllllllllll, I'm not sure about that then. Look, the best thing in any relationship is to talk to your partner. Communication in a relationship is more important than anything else in the world. Communication gaps leads to disasters in many cases. Talk to your boyfriend about it. Tell him what you want and listen to what he wants. And then come to a conclusion that best pleases both of you. That way you'll love each other more and you trust gets a massive booster. Good Luck!!

ReputationRep:
    You can still travel, buy a house and experience life if you have a kid.

Children are a big investment, so you have to weigh up the pros and cons of raising a children at your age. On the plus side, you have more energy in your 20s, and you can still enjoy yourself. At the end of the day it's your body, so you should do what's right for you.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't listen to these people telling you to find out what your boyfriend wants, this is entirely up to you. Give yourself some time to decide- (I suggest having chat with a doctor about it, if you have a sexual health clinic nearby then even better), then tell him what you've decided if you want.

If you don't think you're ready then you aren't, don't let anyone talk you into motherhood- it's a huge deal. An abortion really isn't, considering how early you are.

Live the life you want! Good luck xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrlaBorla)
    Please don't listen to these people telling you to find out what your boyfriend wants, this is entirely up to you.
    Yeah because the father of the child has absolutely no right to any input whatsoever.

Abort abort abort.

ReputationRep:
    If youre not ready then youre just not ready. You dont need to have the child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrlaBorla)
    Please don't listen to these people telling you to find out what your boyfriend wants, this is entirely up to you. Give yourself some time to decide- (I suggest having chat with a doctor about it, if you have a sexual health clinic nearby then even better), then tell him what you've decided if you want.

If you don't think you're ready then you aren't, don't let anyone talk you into motherhood- it's a huge deal. An abortion really isn't, considering how early you are.

Live the life you want! Good luck xx
    Lol, I love how you're denying the rights of the father and at the same time saying that murder isn't a big deal

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.