Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    so I recently got my IB results and they were very disappointing. I got 666 at HL and 35 points overall missing the requirements for both my firm (Durham which wanted 666 at HL and 38) and UCL which wanted 665 at HL and 36.

My IB coordinator emailed Durham on results day and they are currently holding my place so I have to wait until a level results day, to most likely get passed on to UCL for consideration.

Although there is a possibility of getting into UCL as a near miss, I still feel very disappointed in myself and I would've also preferred to go to uni outside of London.

I was expecting 3 core points but got 1, which was a big shock (I feel quite cheated). I was also 1 mark away from a 6 in Italian (which has been submitted for remark).

I know that registration fees for retakes go up after the 29th of July, but at the same time, only 1 person in my school has been allowed to retake IB in the 10 or 12 years that it has been running. If I wanted to retake I would really have to fight for it (they would rather let me go through clearing than retake). Though I suppose I could look into other schools that would let me do so (but they may be far away).

Ideally, I would like to retake my EE and TOK and 1 or 2 subjects (depending on my Italian remark). However, I would definitely need tuition for my core, and haven't really come across anywhere that offers EE tuition?

But if I wanted to reapply for Durham would they expect me to get higher than 38 points? I'm waiting for my remarks to call up.

Also, although most employers don't know what the IB is, do you think that I'll lose any job opportunites because of my point score? Or will doing well in my degree be able to compensate for this?

Any help is very appreciated!
    Thank you for reading.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower98)
    Hi,
    so I recently got my IB results and they were very disappointing. I got 666 at HL and 35 points overall missing the requirements for both my firm (Durham which wanted 666 at HL and 38) and UCL which wanted 665 at HL and 36.

My IB coordinator emailed Durham on results day and they are currently holding my place so I have to wait until a level results day, to most likely get passed on to UCL for consideration.

Although there is a possibility of getting into UCL as a near miss, I still feel very disappointed in myself and I would've also preferred to go to uni outside of London.

I was expecting 3 core points but got 1, which was a big shock (I feel quite cheated). I was also 1 mark away from a 6 in Italian (which has been submitted for remark).

I know that registration fees for retakes go up after the 29th of July, but at the same time, only 1 person in my school has been allowed to retake IB in the 10 or 12 years that it has been running. If I wanted to retake I would really have to fight for it (they would rather let me go through clearing than retake). Though I suppose I could look into other schools that would let me do so (but they may be far away).

Ideally, I would like to retake my EE and TOK and 1 or 2 subjects (depending on my Italian remark). However, I would definitely need tuition for my core, and haven't really come across anywhere that offers EE tuition?

But if I wanted to reapply for Durham would they expect me to get higher than 38 points? I'm waiting for my remarks to call up.

Also, although most employers don't know what the IB is, do you think that I'll lose any job opportunites because of my point score? Or will doing well in my degree be able to compensate for this?

Any help is very appreciated!
    Thank you for reading.
    Your degree will compensate for your disappointing but admittedly decent IB score. Any employers who care about those grades likely won't accept a retaken score anyway! Good luck with UCL

ReputationRep:
    Erm idk

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.