The Student Room Group

General Question C3

Is 2xx2+1\dfrac{2x}{x^2+1}

The same as 2x+1\dfrac{2}{x+1}?

if not, which i think it's not. Why cant you simplify the first equation into the second equations?
Nope.

x isn't a factor of the whole bottom line but rather just the square part of it.

C'mon ez GCSE stuff here
Original post by joyoustele

if not, which i think it's not. Why cant you simplify the first equation into the second equations?

No it isn't. If you divide the top by x, you'd have to divide the whole of the bottom by x, which wouldn't give x+1 at the bottom.

At some point (can't remember if it's C3 or C4), you'll learn how to split the first fraction into two fractions (the form abx+c\dfrac{a}{bx+c} + dex+f\dfrac{d}{ex+f}. This topic is called "Partial fractions".
Reply 3
Original post by TheMindGarage
No it isn't. If you divide the top by x, you'd have to divide the whole of the bottom by x, which wouldn't give x+1 at the bottom.

At some point (can't remember if it's C3 or C4), you'll learn how to split the first fraction into two fractions (the form abx+c\dfrac{a}{bx+c} + dex+f\dfrac{d}{ex+f}. This topic is called "Partial fractions".

Thats C4
Reply 4
Original post by Trihawk7
Nope.

x isn't a factor of the whole bottom line but rather just the square part of it.

C'mon ez GCSE stuff here

Thnks :cry:

lol
Thats C4

Now I remember... I never really remembered which topics were on which paper - I just revised both units together.
Reply 6
Original post by TheMindGarage

Danke,Merci,Gracias, Thank you.
Thats C4

Very first thing I was taught in C3 lmao

It isn't, because you can cancel only if it is a factor of the numerator and denominator. x is a factor of 2x, but x isn't a factor of x^2+1.

Quick Reply

Latest